You using this

I'm using this

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Cloudy tank after change sponge

Your tank is already established. Is there a reason to use this instead of a dechlorinator like API, Seachem or Nutrafin?

I've never advocated the use of "bottled" bacteria, and have seen first hand, that shops like Fishy Business telling people to add this every time they do water change just to make sales.

As far as I am concern bacterias are sensitive to our warm weather and have limited shelf life. Bacteria are living organism and I don't see how one can survive and survive with great efficiency with no oxygen, bottled up in shops like c328 which is obviously warm.

You can check out Dennis Wong's take on it. He unlike me is advocating a neutral stand on this. Noticed he used the word "Snake Oil" in the title.

https://www.2hraquarist.com/blogs/fi...cteria-culture

Issues in the aquarium don't happen a week later after water change. Problems arises after several weeks 1-2 months of accumulative problems. That's how it's always been.

I would stop dosing it and just do my weekly water changes, but that's just me.

If however your water start turning green, it's the start of green water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    Your tank is already established. Is there a reason to use this instead of a dechlorinator like API, Seachem or Nutrafin?

I've never advocated the use of "bottled" bacteria, and have seen first hand, that shops like Fishy Business telling people to add this every time they do water change just to make sales.

As far as I am concern bacterias are sensitive to our warm weather and have limited shelf life. Bacteria are living organism and I don't see how one can survive and survive with great efficiency with no oxygen, bottled up in shops like c328 which is obviously warm.

You can check out Dennis Wong's take on it. He unlike me is advocating a neutral stand on this. Noticed he used the word "Snake Oil" in the title.

https://www.2hraquarist.com/blogs/fi...cteria-culture

Issues in the aquarium don't happen a week later after water change. Problems arises after several weeks 1-2 months of accumulative problems. That's how it's always been.

I would stop dosing it and just do my weekly water changes, but that's just me.

If however your water start turning green, it's the start of green water.
    This is enlightening. Never knew there's limited benefits in pouring a bottle of bacteria into a tank.

I used dechlorinator in my tank, AST powder which I add a scoop every water change. Basically the only add-on in my tank is bacteria, AST anti-chlorine, liquid ferts and liquid carbon(daily).

Also, I noticed when the cloudiness started, my co2 indicator have turned blue. Before that it has always been green. Nothing changed, except that I'm using new lily pipes.

As remedy for my tank, what should I do? I've stopped adding good bacteria since my last water change.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by carcraze View Post
    This is enlightening. Never knew there's limited benefits in pouring a bottle of bacteria into a tank.

I used dechlorinator in my tank, AST powder which I add a scoop every water change. Basically the only add-on in my tank is bacteria, AST anti-chlorine, liquid ferts and liquid carbon(daily).

Also, I noticed when the cloudiness started, my co2 indicator have turned blue. Before that it has always been green. Nothing changed, except that I'm using new lily pipes.

As remedy for my tank, what should I do? I've stopped adding good bacteria since my last water change.

You're running co2 but dosing liquid carbon daily? That's odd.

No sure what is AST powder.

if you stop added Special blend, then probably wait it out. Just do your water changes twice a week. Check in again here in 2-3 weeks time.

Hope it's not green water, because that will be harder to resolve.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You're running co2 but dosing liquid carbon daily? That's odd.

No sure what is AST powder.

if you stop added Special blend, then probably wait it out. Just do your water changes twice a week. Check in again here in 2-3 weeks time.

Hope it's not green water, because that will be harder to resolve.
    Yea, I was advised to dose co2 and liquid carbon to prevent algae. It works, hardly can see algae growing on rocks or beneath my MC. Even my front panel will only have minor algae after 2-3 weeks.

AST is anti-chlorine. It also clears ammonia.

That's the thing, I can't tell if it's green or just cloudy water. I tried taking some water out on a clear bottle, I still couldn't make it out.

Do you think I should try blacking out the tank for a few days to make sure?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yea, I was advised to dose co2 and liquid carbon to prevent algae. It works, hardly can see algae growing on rocks or beneath my MC. Even my front panel will only have minor algae after 2-3 weeks.

AST is anti-chlorine. It also clears ammonia.

That's the thing, I can't tell if it's green or just cloudy water. I tried taking some water out on a clear bottle, I still couldn't make it out.

Do you think I should try blacking out the tank for a few days to make sure?

Btw, I have about 7 hrs of light

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just leave anything as it is and monitor in 2- 3 weeks.

Green water is very obvious. You scope up a cup and it's green.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just leave anything as it is and monitor in 2- 3 weeks.

Green water is very obvious. You scope up a cup and it's green.
    I just tried scoop up a cup and over white light, it's light green

I guess it's green water then. What should I do to remedy green water? Should I blackout?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I just tried scoop up a cup and over white light, it's light green

I guess it's green water then. What should I do to remedy green water? Should I blackout?

I can't see any of your pics.

Green water usually fixed by using UV light.

But I wouldn't recommend buying anything extra if you don't have it.

I've never used UV light before because I prefer to fix things the natural way.

I lowered light intensity, reduce feeding, remove algae build up and doing water changes in my breeding tank last time. It took about 3 months of weekly water change to manage green water.

But mileage may differ from tank to tank.

Ivan Choo wrote down his experience some time back. You can have a read. His tank is like yours. A larger % of foreground plants than actual fast growing plants density.

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...lessons-learnt
    Last edited by torque6; 14th Nov 2020 at 23:10.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I can't see any of your pics.

Green water usually fixed by using UV light.

But I wouldn't recommend buying anything extra if you don't have it.

I've never used UV light before because I prefer to fix things the natural way.

I lowered light intensity, reduce feeding, remove algae build up and doing water changes in my breeding tank last time. It took about 3 months of weekly water change to manage green water.

But mileage may differ from tank to tank.

Ivan Choo wrote down his experience some time back. You can have a read. His tank is like yours. A larger % of foreground plants than actual fast growing plants density.

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...lessons-learnt
    Thanks for all the advises. Going to blackout for 3 days and see what's the outcome.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Water clarity back to normal after 4 days blackout and 3 water changes. I've reduced light duration and CO2 for now and will slowly increase.

Thanks all for your advices. Another learning curve in the pocket for me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Good to see water is clear now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12