Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Rescape 2 ft tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Read a few rescape experiences and got some really good advices in this forum. But I needed to ask a few questions specific to my situation.

I intend to keep the substrate in my existing tank when I rescape. The substrate is around 1 year old only. I also intend to change all hardscape to something new.

Is it wise to do the above, keeping the substrate, and topping up with new ones if insufficient?

Wary about possible algae transfer, which was a pain in the a** when I first started this tank.

I have moving livestock and will house them in a pail while I do this. After I complete my rescape, should I pour in the water that is in the pail into the tank? Will there be potential transfer of unwanted stuff like algae spores etc?

And how do I keep my old media 'fresh' during this 1-2 weeks of rescape?

Thanks

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Rescape 2 ft tank

Lovely tank. Nice foreground!

If you substrate is only a year old, even if there is base fertilizer, it should be fine. If you are using aquasoil type of substrate, you'll probably need to check how compacted they have become. Topping up new substrate if the current level is compacted would be a good idea.

Algae can get into your tank in many ways, not just from old substrate. Your plants, your livestocks too can be a risk. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you want to keep your filter media and to have to do a complete restart, you can run that filter in the pail that you are keeping the livestock during the re-scaping exercise.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?