Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of setting up a planted tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Cost of setting up a planted tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, just want to know how much does it cost to set up a planted tank using a 2ft tank?

basically i want to set the tank up for my guppies...
    will decide on adding some other suitable species in...
    so hope to get advise on how much does everything cost...
    and also where to get them?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    tank = $30?
    filteration system: varies: external, internal, hang on top. china brand, german brand?
    soil = ada = $38, quartz sand = $14
    basefert if using quartz sand = ++up to $20

plants: depends on how planted you want, otherwise eg: hairgrass $10 enough for the whole tank.

ferts: depends again. but jbl or profito = $20 or so, will last you 3 months or more.

plant tweezers $20 - $50 depending on what you get.
    plant scissors $20 - $50 depending on what you get

co2 system : $160 from NA
    diffusor or reactor : varies from $10 - $180

PH test kit and kh test kit $15 - $30

PH monitor = milwaukee $99-$150

PH controller denerlle = $600+

chiller : $800-$2000+

--
    all depends on how high tech or low tech you want to go.

you can do it with floating plants and that's just $2 or so excluding the tank and filteration system.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks for the reply...
    most prob i'll be going down to singapore expo on May 26th and see whether there's anything sales going on...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    its not open to the public until sat afternoon.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    haha...thanks for this important info...
    will take note...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hmm: I forgot about lighting also, $35-$2500 I guess,

simplest "best practice" set up:
    Gex 5 plan/Nisso 2ft tank
    + ada soil
    + lighting
    + eheim liberty hang on top filter or small canister filter (hydor/rena?)
    + co2

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The initial cost of setting up a planted tank will be rather large, because you need to purchase everything, and you may purchase some wrong things. However, once you make the initial investment, future planted tank projects will be a simple matter of getting the plants ( which don't cost much here in Singapore ).

For me, I spent around $200 on my 2ft tank. 2ft is a great size to start off with, because equipment needed is rather cheap compared to 3ft and 4ft tanks. 2ft is also easier to aquascape with, and fertilisation regimes that require frequent changing of water are also no problem.

If you haven't started reading up on planted tanks (i.e., all you know about planted tanks is a tank filled with plants and fish ) you'd better. Do not rely on LFSes for info, since most LFSes don't know what they're talking about ( this is in my opinion ). Read up the stickies in this forum, as well as http://www.rexgrigg.com/pg1.htm to get a idea of what you have to buy and the knowledge that you need to grow plants.

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i would reccommend 2 & 1/2 feet if u can find.....

it looks much betta,
    2 ft sometimes u may find limited aquascape u can do,
    3ft, alamak, cost damn high la....
    i'm ADDicted to this wonderful hobby

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    The initial cost of setting up a planted tank will be rather large, because you need to purchase everything, and you may purchase some wrong things. However, once you make the initial investment, future planted tank projects will be a simple matter of getting the plants ( which don't cost much here in Singapore ).

For me, I spent around $200 on my 2ft tank. 2ft is a great size to start off with, because equipment needed is rather cheap compared to 3ft and 4ft tanks. 2ft is also easier to aquascape with, and fertilisation regimes that require frequent changing of water are also no problem.

If you haven't started reading up on planted tanks (i.e., all you know about planted tanks is a tank filled with plants and fish ) you'd better. Do not rely on LFSes for info, since most LFSes don't know what they're talking about ( this is in my opinion ). Read up the stickies in this forum, as well as http://www.rexgrigg.com/pg1.htm to get a idea of what you have to buy and the knowledge that you need to grow plants.

Good luck!
    I agree with squee comment that most LFS don't know much what they're talking about (even though some might be in the business for donkey years). Like you, I'm new in this wonderfully hobby since this CNY and already learnt so much from this forum. . I'm thankful for all the members input and they're just so useful for reference because mostly are their personnel experience.

One piece my 2 cents advice, buy the best equipment in the market. You wouldn't be regretted in the long run. Anyone, agree?
    The More You Share, The More You Have

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Talking

a.....
    only if u have the $$$ and plan to have the hobby for long....
    i'm ADDicted to this wonderful hobby

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you don't need the best equipments, if you got enough knowledge of what you are doing. Start with the biggest tank you can afford, my concept simple, bigger tanks have more stable water condition than smaller ones. In fact, small tanks are harder to maintain and thewater perimeter swings drastically. As for the other equipments, just purchase suitable ones . LFS such as NA, do give good advise, but sad to say, their range of equipments are limited, you basically u dont have much to choose from. Plan what you need and want. Then it makes your life whole lot easier. Best advise, read more before you take the plunge

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you can also ask around here for advise on what equipment to buy before scouting for them so that you will not regret spending money on those stuff you don need.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    you don't need the best equipments, if you got enough knowledge of what you are doing. Start with the biggest tank you can afford, my concept simple, bigger tanks have more stable water condition than smaller ones. In fact, small tanks are harder to maintain and thewater perimeter swings drastically. As for the other equipments, just purchase suitable ones . LFS such as NA, do give good advise, but sad to say, their range of equipments are limited, you basically u dont have much to choose from. Plan what you need and want. Then it makes your life whole lot easier. Best advise, read more before you take the plunge
    I agree to some degree.
    For tank, the biggest the better, if one can afford and also got the space.
    Equipment wise, if one plan for a long-term hobby, a quality stuff will last a long time without any headache. May pay a little more in the beginning but worth a ton later.

Buy German brands, so far not fail me yet..
    The More You Share, The More You Have

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Star-flog
    Buy German brands, so far not fail me yet..
    So far, none of my Taiwan brand, China brand, Singapore brand equipment had failed me... what makes German brand stand out among the rest is the huge price tag on it
    Last edited by Goondoo; 14th May 2005 at 18:43.
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Going back to your topic....
    1) Understand your budget, how much are you willing to spend? $200? $500? $1000? Even if you are fifthy rich, there must be a stage you find things too expensive to justify
    2) The location of the tank... need a place where you can easily enjoy, so where is that place in your house? What sizes is possible? What other equipment you will need? (chiller, external callister, CO2 tank etc) are they safe and kids-proof(if any, even to occasional relatives visits)?
    3) Type of plants you have in mind? Most beginners start planted tank because they saw some Riccia tanks bubbling.... for a 2 ft riccia tank, I think it shouldnt cost too much.

Tanks prices varies alot from places to places. For a 2ft, get atleast 8mm all sides. Test for leaks by filling in water and leave it over night. Don't worry about scaping at the moment, theres always smaller plants for smaller tanks. Just get started with some basic equipments (like CO2 tank, external callister filter, lights) and simple plants (like riccia, amazons, H.Difformis, Hairgrass etc). Have a good feel of constantly monitoring, trimming, add ferts etc. When you are more knowledgeble and ready, rescape your whole tank into something you really want.

This is because as you learn and read, you will be more or less inspired by some very nice works from fellow forumers or pros like Amano's etc and together with your very own creativity, knowledge of basics and understanding of limitations, making it possible to construct your dream tank.

My Humble Thoughts
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by taz_boy
    i would reccommend 2 & 1/2 feet if u can find.....

it looks much betta,
    2 ft sometimes u may find limited aquascape u can do,
    3ft, alamak, cost damn high la....
    I think having 2.5ft tanks would pose a problem getting light sets. Light sets coming in 2.5ft are not common. I have a 2.5 ft tank at home and I DIY my lights using 2x36W PL per set. Even then, it juts out and look a bit unsightly.

I think 3ft tanks are nice. The dimensions of 3ft x 1.5ft looks pleasing enough from the front. 3ft lights are also common.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Juggler, remember I bought the 2.5 ft lights set from you about two years ago?

Well, at that time, it was quite difficult getting the lighting set for such tank.

I have since restarted this hobby in March this year (with the same old 2.5 ft tank). And I managed to buy off from shelf a 2.5 ft PL lighting set. Not sure about the wattage yet. Magnum brand I think. An it works fine.

In short, 2.5ft lights are now available.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    in my opinion, the expenisve stuff is the Co2 plus a solenoid regulator. Manual ones that come cheap almost fail with a few months.

Lights come second, i would think a 2x36 is a good amount to start because you will realise that its about instant gratification (and problems)

the tanks and gravel and pump wont cost much. only as you go up the level, you may want to indulge in ADA style tanks, gravel, lily pipes because you are "there" so to speak.

DIY co2 is fine, but thats good for the initial stages when you dedicate lots of time to your tank. after a while, you just want to plant in and let it grow, trim it on weekends.

regrads

jiesheng

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    don't stinch on lights and don't stinch on CO2, even the tubing and counters etc because the cheap ones will start giving you problem after a while by leaking invisibly.

once you get the lighting and CO2 settled, the rest are reasonably easy.

also don't listen to most LFS and buy funny chemicals.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wow wow...
    thanks for all ur advises...
    will take note...
    coz my gf will be paying for my tank...keke...
    and she put a side $300 for me...
    so thats my budget lor...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast