these are taken with onyx sand
    http://uo.tdsuo.com/gallery/albums/normal/IMG_6076.JPG
    http://uo.tdsuo.com/gallery/albums/normal/IMG_6211.JPG

these are taken with denerlle black quartz
    http://uo.tdsuo.com/gallery/albums/n...6_CRW_8414.jpg

these are taken with a japalang mix of fluorite/fluorite red and quartz
    http://uo.tdsuo.com/gallery/albums/normal/IMG_6169.JPG
    http://uo.tdsuo.com/gallery/albums/n..._1207_copy.jpg

this is a side by side look of ada next to my fluorite/fluorite red japalang mix
    http://uo.tdsuo.com/gallery/albums/n..._0853_copy.jpg

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome
    If you want black colour and dont want to use ADA amazonia then try Seachem Onyx.. i think it is pretty good..i plan to use the sand form for my next tank. Otherwise you can try Dennerle Quartz gravel...which in my opinion is just quartz gravel with a name tagged price... i mean...whats so special about it compared to other black quartz gravel?
    I see. Seachem Onyx sand looks very good in solid black. Unfortunately, when look at the price at UK website selling like ~ S$60 per 7kg pack . How much those in Singapore and where can get it?
    The More You Share, The More You Have

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    no la...mostly everything in UK is expensive..lol..

I think NA got..go inquire...the last time i checked it was the same price if not just a bit higher than the Flourite... so why not right?lol

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    no la...mostly everything in UK is expensive..lol..

I think NA got..go inquire...the last time i checked it was the same price if not just a bit higher than the Flourite... so why not right?lol
    Heng ah (lucky in Hokkien) and thinking where got more expensive than ADA soil.
    Since it packed on 7 kg and therefore for 2ft x 2ft, I might need 4 packs. Still very expensive...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Expensive?? i bought some kind of volcanic soil from them...come in black packet one..i think only 3-4 kg..and it was 26 bucks!!! so for a 7-8kg bag it would be like 52..
    Imagine filling a 2 feet with that..lol

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Expensive?? i bought some kind of volcanic soil from them...come in black packet one..i think only 3-4 kg..and it was 26 bucks!!! so for a 7-8kg bag it would be like 52..
    Imagine filling a 2 feet with that..lol
    Right, very expensive. For 2ft x 2ft with 2" substrate, I would probably need about 25 Kg. So it cost will be S$52/7kg x 3 = S$156...wow.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    like i said about ADA being less dense, compared to ADA, you need more onyx to accomplish the substrate height.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Substrate is basically a one time cost issue but once setup well, you really don't have to mess with it. I like something that looks good, heavy and does not create a lot of mess when rescaping (JBL topoff with lapis gravel is one that I do not like personally even though its cheap. Creates a lot of mess after uprooting jobs and the substrate looks horrible when mixed.).

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee
    Substrate is basically a one time cost issue but once setup well, you really don't have to mess with it. I like something that looks good, heavy and does not create a lot of mess when rescaping (JBL topoff with lapis gravel is one that I do not like personally even though its cheap. Creates a lot of mess after uprooting jobs and the substrate looks horrible when mixed.).

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Hi PeterGwee, what would you opt for when you plan for your next tank : Seachem Onyx sand (black) OR ADA Aquasoil (black)?

I acutally searched throught the website extensively and read some review, it seems like Seahem Onyx sand received some good review and whereas ADA Aquasoil did not has much review on the website (may be in Japanese website?)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I read someone mentioned that FloraBase was modeled after ADA aquasoil looks a lot like ADA aquasoil. True? If so, perhaps FloraBase can be a good alternative if it is not too expensive?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    While looking for more reviews on ADA aqua soil, I am now absolutely more convinced this could be the best black substrate around. (If black substrate is to your liking)

Also add-on little more on loupgarou earlier comments. The full description of ADA Aqua soil Amazonia as follows (hope this is useful for those has not deciding what is the best black substrate to buy)

Description
    Designed to create the image of Amazonia. Create an aquascape depicting the fertile South American rainforest with the dynamic alternation of rainy and dry seasons. Normal and Powder Type available.

AQUA SOIL SERIES
    A high pH level (alkaline) of the substrate causes difficulties for aquatic plants in consuming nutrients. The Aqua Soil Series decreases the hardness of the water and lowers the PH level to the degree at which most aquatic plants can consume nutrients and comfortably grow. Aqua Soil granules maintain their shape and density for long periods underwater securing good circulation of water and oxygen through the substrate. With Aqua Soil, growing difficult plants such as Tonina sp. becomes easier, and it is ideal for fishes demanding soft water.

SPECIAL FEATURES :
    1. Completely new substrate made from specially processed natural material from the earth.
    2. Colloid particles capture dirt floating in the water, without any chemical treatment.
    3. Gives clarity to the water and creates conditions ideal for healthy growth of aquatic plants.
    4. Helps to lower the hardness level of the water.
    5. Helps to bring the pH level of the water down to an ideal level for most of the aquatic plants.
    6. Composed of granules of size and density ideal for the fast development of healthy plant root systems, rather conventional substrates such as sand.
    7. Granules maintain their shape for a long period in water, holding air between them, which is vital for the long time maintenance of a planted aquarium.
    8. Used with Power Sand stimulates the fast colonization of bacteria in the substrate and creates perfect conditions for plant root systems.
    9. Most desirable pH level for most aquatic plants(ph 5.5 - 6.5) to develop their root systems.
    10. Available in 3 types to suit your aquarium layout.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    "COULD be the best" ...could being the MAIN word here..

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    WOW, quite a list of interesting comments and reviews. What can I say? Already convinced to use them for the next purchase.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    "COULD be the best" ...could being the MAIN word here..
    Honestly, I've not try any of those products mentioned and therefore can only use the phase "COULD be the best...." based on other people opinion.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The tip about using the bag that the ADA Aquasoil came with is actually not necessary. What I did when using ADA Aquasoil for the 1st time is to very, very slowly fill the tank with water. I've got a long hose that would reach where my tank was placed in the hall of my parent's house. Once the water had covered the soil, you could just 'tap' at those pellet that are floating on the water surface. Also, the water was crystal clear!
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I use the best of both worlds.. fluorite at the lower level covered with ada...heh.

(ok: so when I uproot plants, the fluorite comes out and spoils the look of the ada...so warning: do not do what I did.. haha)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Well.. i have this feeling that ADA grows most plants well but there are certain plants that just SUCK in it... i have no proof of this but i've heard of many cases where people use ADA aquasoil and not being able to grow certain plants cos they keep melting on them...i dont know if its the pH..
    i usually use the entire bottom setup..as in powersand special that has bacter 100 and super clear in it.. then i add tourmaline bc to the base before taht as well... but skip out on the aquasoil because i dont like how it alters the ph... for the top layer i use the volcanic stuff...its pretty good..but its not black...the next time i'll try the same base set up with seachem onyx..

i dont think the magic of ADA soil lies with Aquasoil but more with all the base stuff unnderneath it..and the fast that SOME plants like the low ph it creates.
    Last edited by ranmasatome; 16th May 2005 at 01:09.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by BFG
    The tip about using the bag that the ADA Aquasoil came with is actually not necessary. What I did when using ADA Aquasoil for the 1st time is to very, very slowly fill the tank with water. I've got a long hose that would reach where my tank was placed in the hall of my parent's house. Once the water had covered the soil, you could just 'tap' at those pellet that are floating on the water surface. Also, the water was crystal clear!
    Thansk for the tip, so ADA aquasoil has been prewashed already? For the 2ft x 2ft base, and believe 3 packs is required. Can I just use this ADA aquasoil for the substrate and no mixing of others. No problem right?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you don't have to wash the aquasoil. you can mix with other stuff, if you want to.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast