Thread: What so special of ADA Soil?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Yeah, get a base fert too. I have a tank of ADA Aquasoil for my mom's shrimp tank but without base fert. My red lotus has not increased in size due to the fact that i did not have base fert.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by BFG
    Yeah, get a base fert too. I have a tank of ADA Aquasoil for my mom's shrimp tank but without base fert. My red lotus has not increased in size due to the fact that i did not have base fert.
    If ADA Aquasoil is already 'so good' (based on all of your reviews) why we still need to add-in base fert? I'm little puzzled now.
    The More You Share, The More You Have

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The soil is just soil with some special characteristics. If you noticed, Power-sand acts as a base fert, and ADA reccommends the use of the two products together. From there, I'd say that Aquasoil still needs base fertiliser.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, as far as experiences are concern here, I would not recommend ADA aquasoil to new folks. Why? CO2. Folks will have problems measuring their CO2 levels if they were to use such a substrate until the point where the peat effect evens out and the substrate pH returns to neutral again. Poor CO2 accounts for 90% or more of new folks problems with algae.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee
    Well, as far as experiences are concern here, I would not recommend ADA aquasoil to new folks. Why? CO2. Folks will have problems measuring their CO2 levels if they were to use such a substrate until the point where the peat effect evens out and the substrate pH returns to neutral again. Poor CO2 accounts for 90% or more of new folks problems with algae.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Hi Peter, thanks for your comments.
    After considering all factors and comments, I think I'll still go for ADA Aquasoil (black) because planning to keep school of Cardinal Tetra (50+). Researched a lot on this fish and like its awesome coloration. It would be nice in the planted tank.
    Also understand that this fish requires low PH 6, soft water and dark substrate that will bring out their colors. So, ADA is still the best choice.
    Don't you agree?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You need not use Aquasoil to get Cardinal tetras to show off their full glory.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    You need not use Aquasoil to get Cardinal tetras to show off their full glory.
    Because Aquasoil is black color and has the property to lower the PH level and soft water, so it should goes well with this fish..unless there is a cheaper alternative? thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Variety of food and good health of the base eco-system is the key to good fish health and colour. pH is seldom an issue here and those low pH readings stated from natural systems are not measured with specialized probes which is needed for poorly buffered water. Focus on the plants needs (light,CO2 and nutrients) and the fish would do well.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee
    Variety of food and good health of the base eco-system is the key to good fish health and colour. pH is seldom an issue here and those low pH readings stated from natural systems are not measured with specialized probes which is needed for poorly buffered water. Focus on the plants needs (light,CO2 and nutrients) and the fish would do well.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Good advice and of course the fishes needs to be fed too. Just think of the justification to buy this 'expensive' aquasoil.

Also, I believe - The Caribsea Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate (see photo) seems quite close to ADA Aquasoil, unfortunately, this product not available in Singapore yet.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    you can use ketapang water to lower ph if you want...it works..especially for a small tank..but dont put too much in a shrimp tank...it makes their eggs harden...not good.. but a little is okay.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome
    you can use ketapang water to lower ph if you want...it works..especially for a small tank..but dont put too much in a shrimp tank...it makes their eggs harden...not good.. but a little is okay.
    I won't want to do that, 'risky operation' to add some unknown thing in the tank. Better not try..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    its safe la.....just dont over dose..heehee..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    As understand that ADA Aquosoil stanard packet is 9 litres instead of by weight.

Anyone knows in term of weight (kg/weight) for this packet I need, if want to have a depth of 2" of substrate for 2ft x 2ft base?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if i am not wrong, you will need 2 packs, and all you will get is a flat 2 inch base. this is calculated by 9 litres being the volume displaced, and that you require 18 litres to get the above mentioned desired height.

hope it helps

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by gregorsamsa
    if i am not wrong, you will need 2 packs, and all you will get is a flat 2 inch base. this is calculated by 9 litres being the volume displaced, and that you require 18 litres to get the above mentioned desired height.

hope it helps
    Much appreciated for the advice. Thank you!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234