Images
    Country
    Singapore

Question Cherry Shrimp got egg!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I've a community shrimp in 1ft cube tank and seen female Cherry shrimp got eggs in the stomach this morning.
    The problem is, I do not have any male adult Cherry shrimp in the tank but got others such Yamoto, tiger shrimps, and some young Cherry, would they cross-breeding? What would happen?

Thanks.
    The More You Share, The More You Have

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Did you just get the cherries? If so, they might have "done it" before you got them. But how do you know that you don't have any male cherry shrimps?
    It is not easy to sex them...nothing to see below their *ahem*.

Anyway, cherries breed true. They do not cross bred with tigers or yamatos, so you should be safe. The offsprings will be legitimate. No complex parenthood relationship to worry about.

Btw, for myself, I noticed my yamatoes carrying eggs. First time seeing it after so long keeping shrimps. From what I read, it will probably not hatch successfully since yamatoes and a few others need brackish water to lay their egss. Still, hoping for a miracle

Good luck to you.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    there are exceptions. I have seen young yamatoes emerging from my hairgrass lawn. there is no where else they could have come from as I did not add Yamato (and certainly none that small) for a very long time. For that matter I didn't even see any females carrying eggs so they did it on the sly, and just a couple out of the hundreds managed to survive in freshwater.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes. Interesting the eggs seems to be in the hundreds...quite different from the other shrimps (bigger and in the tens). This seems to be how they beat the odds given the slim chance of survival ....if they all hatch successfully together, I will need a bigger tank

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketshrimp
    Did you just get the cherries? If so, they might have "done it" before you got them. But how do you know that you don't have any male cherry shrimps?
    It is not easy to sex them...nothing to see below their *ahem*.

Anyway, cherries breed true. They do not cross bred with tigers or yamatos, so you should be safe. The offsprings will be legitimate. No complex parenthood relationship to worry about.

Btw, for myself, I noticed my yamatoes carrying eggs. First time seeing it after so long keeping shrimps. From what I read, it will probably not hatch successfully since yamatoes and a few others need brackish water to lay their egss. Still, hoping for a miracle

Good luck to you.
    I brought them from NA when it was very small. So, it would not be "done it". For Cherry shrimp currently in the tank, only 1 female adult and 3 small ones. If no male adult Cherry shrimp around, what would happen and would the eggs be wasted??
    The More You Share, The More You Have