Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: how to catch a sea centipede in my tank?

how to catch a sea centipede in my tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi bro,
    i m new to this forum, n i m wondering how to catch a sea centipede in my marine tank>>?
    i saw this shiny centipede ,about 1/2inches thick but i didnt see the total lenght of it, only in the night. And seemed to be my shrimp started to disappear mysteriously ...
    according to the fish shop uncle saying that it could fetch a high price...wondering if it is true..

thanks for any advices~~

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    a wat??? sea centipede??? are u talking abt bristleworms? Shrimps starting to disappear mysteriously can be more than just that reason.. any predatory fishes? water quality causing it to die and body was devoured before we know it.... perhaps a pic of the 'sea centipede' might help.

If anyone wants a bristleworms, let me know.. i think i can spare a couple of huge buggers if i overhaul my LRs..

If it turns out to be a bristleworm, do not use ur hands to catch it.. try using tongs or chopsticks to catch them instead.

If it is not a bristleworm then it might be a mantis shrimp. These are the only 2 that i can think, might be mistaken as 'sea centipede'
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstorm
    a wat??? sea centipede??? are u talking abt bristleworms? Shrimps starting to disappear mysteriously can be more than just that reason.. any predatory fishes? water quality causing it to die and body was devoured before we know it.... perhaps a pic of the 'sea centipede' might help.

If anyone wants a bristleworms, let me know.. i think i can spare a couple of huge buggers if i overhaul my LRs..

If it turns out to be a bristleworm, do not use ur hands to catch it.. try using tongs or chopsticks to catch them instead.

If it is not a bristleworm then it might be a mantis shrimp. These are the only 2 that i can think, might be mistaken as 'sea centipede'
    Why dont use hands?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Are these bristleworms?
    I call it Sea-centipede too

When I caught it using a tweezers and accidentally squeezed it's body, a luminous blue colour was emitted from it's body. Glowing centipede
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,
    Izzat

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    those are bristleworms alright!!!.. reason for not using hands, coz the so called 'bristles' can sting u, leaving their 'stings' behind and it can cause very bad rashes and can be pretty painful. They are not earthworms...

so szone, if the aquarium owner that u mentioned that it can fetch high prices, let me know where to find him.. i want to sell him these.. kekeke.. darned, i just caught one that is abt 15cm long last week... !!!... u should have posted this earlier.. i could have made a fortune!!!.. kekeke
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Kel,

I believe these Bristleworms come into your aquarium when it comes from newly bought Liverocks from the farm.

Is it possible to get rid of them from newly bought Liverocks by soaking with High salinity water?
    If so, for how long should I soak it?

Any other ways?
    Regards,
    Izzat

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    that is one way, the other, is i dip the LR in FW. U can also leave it out to dry for a couple of mins.

All these bristleworms that i caught, i usually 'treat' them to FW baths and they dun survive it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstorm
    that is one way, the other, is i dip the LR in FW. U can also leave it out to dry for a couple of mins.
    How long does this "dip" last? Wouldn't the mirco-organism in the LR die too?

Leave it to dry might be a better choice but some of the Bristleworms are just too rebelious to go out of the rocks
    Regards,
    Izzat

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yes, the micro organism will die too..leaving it out to dry also can cause some of them to die... of course, if u are talking abt macro algae rock, that is different story.. u cant leave it out to dry or soak in FW..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Kel

I think the best and safest way is to soak in High Salinity water?
    Regards,
    Izzat