Country
    Singapore

Algae Problem (possibly BGA)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    HEy folks,

went through the algae identification thread and realised that some of them are "dead".

if i am not wrong, i am suffering from algae, which is possibly BGA. It is the algae that is actually bacteria. It isn't really unsightly but it infects only the top part, the crown , of a few of my rotalas (indica and green).

my tank specs are

467x220x260mm, 30 watts FL, fan cooled, Co2 injected thru diffusor, Fertilisation based on EI.

should i snip of the crown of those infect or just wait for it to grow out? can't seem to physically remove it , lest using a toothpick .

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You should be able to siphon it off easily with the air hoses used for aerators or CO.

Are you dosing NO3?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    okay vincent,

shall try to siphon it off.

i do dose NO3 @ 1/4 teaspoon to ricegrain of PO4.

thanks for the help

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by gregorsamsa
    okay vincent,

shall try to siphon it off.

i do dose NO3 @ 1/4 teaspoon to ricegrain of PO4.

thanks for the help
    Hi, if this is BGA, you can even remove it with hand or siphon it. It should come loose easily, I've just done it a few times before.
    The More You Share, The More You Have

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Try this link which a friend sent me earlier.

http://mikes-machine.mine.nu/algae_g...htm#Bushy_alga
    Newbie in Aquatic Tank Setup....

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    BGA meaning NO3 is seriously lacked.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    erm forgive me if i ask tis lame question. cause me also affect with bga, so by dosing NO3 sure help right? but the problem is....where to get? aha izzit a liquid like fertiliser??? haha too noob in tis stuff

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by barmby
    I beg to differ. I use to have heavy bioload and attacked by BGA. After I reduce my bioload... BGA is history.

To remove BGA, to a black out. Cover your entire tank with newspaper so no light and go thru. On the 4th day, and onwards, they will just disappear. Do large water change...and pay attention to your bioload.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKoh
    I beg to differ. I use to have heavy bioload and attacked by BGA. After I reduce my bioload... BGA is history.

To remove BGA, to a black out. Cover your entire tank with newspaper so no light and go thru. On the 4th day, and onwards, they will just disappear. Do large water change...and pay attention to your bioload.
    So was it the bioload or the NO3?
    Bioload is different from dosing KNO3.

A plant may still be quite limited and doing poorly in high bioload nutrient rich tanks. Excess NH4 sure helps grow algae/BGA is no exception. Bioload drains O2, creates too much organic matter for the bacteria to process and binds up many of the nutrients so plants cannot get at them and then the algae come along and start growing and using up the NH4 that the plants have stopped using.

High bioloads are asking for trouble and BGA has shown up in organic rich tanks or uncleaned filters, old mulm filled substrates etc as well as limitation of NO3(the more common reason).

Clean the filter, do more water changes, uproot and replant, vacuum old substrates after a year and each year thereafter in 1/2 sections per week.

And also dose some KNO3.
    KNO3 and bioloads are not equal.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3rd annual Plant Fest July 8-14th 2005!
    [email protected] Get connected
    www.BarrReport.com Get the information

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    so how to refrain BGA to come back even after black outs since its not due to dosing of NO3

I have black out my tank for a few times, but still, BGA comes back after a week or so.... and im really sick of this BGA...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenTea
    so how to refrain BGA to come back even after black outs since its not due to dosing of NO3

I have black out my tank for a few times, but still, BGA comes back after a week or so.... and im really sick of this BGA...
    Thats is not what Tom meant...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKoh
    Quote Originally Posted by barmby
    Originally Posted by barmby

MikeKoh thinks that bioload = NO3, and when there is high bioload (thinking that it means high NO3) leads to BGA.

Tom was just trying to say high bioload do not equal high NO3 and that you need to dose NO3 to help prevent BGA from coming back.

In addition, IME, good water circulation and O2 level (resulting from good plant growth) will also prevent BGA.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    If you follow the routine I suggest, you don't have it come back.
    If you assume high NO3 or the test kit is correct, then you will likely have it come back in a few days.

You must add KNO3 as prescribed.
    You must do 3 days of full blackout, eg no light at all in the tank, cover with trash bags etc.

Vacuum old substrates and uproot root bound swords or stem plants etc.
    Clean filters.
    Remove all the BGA you can, then do the 50% water change, followed by the KNO3. Wait 3 full days, remove, reconnect CO2, do another 50% water change and dose KNO3 again.
    Add KNO3 thereafter at least 2x a week.

Do not delete some of the advice, you will get BGA again most likely other wise.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Tom,

Why uproot root bound swords or stem plants etc?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Source of sludge and organic matter, bad for plants, good for BGA.
    A couple of things are happening, organic waste build up=> less N that is bioavailable for the plants, but available for the algae/BGA, and reduced O2 levels. Removing all the organic crap in the substrate will help remove this fraction, removing it from the water column is easy.

Then this re sets things and provides good nutrients levels that are the type plants prefer.

You can have higher NO3, say 10ppm and not have enough for the plants in high bioloaded tanks or substrates that are seldom ever uprooted/disturbed.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com