Country
    Singapore

which diffuser is better?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,
    I have recently changed to a flipper for my diffuser...but I noticed that after I used the flipper, my riccia stop pearling...even though I am running about 3 bps. I am wondering if flipper is an efficient way of dissolving the co2. Was the stoppage of the pearling due to the poor dissolve rate of the flipper?

I was using a diffuser glass dish(?..don't know what you call it).

Now I am switching back to see if the pearling comes back.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I feel tt flippers only good for smaller tanks up to bout 60L. any larger volume would not be tt effective. however, there r the dennerle flippers (not cheap) tt claims to be effective for bigger size tanks.
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    William,
    I c. Always had the impression that flippers are efficient when comes to dissolving co2, esp when they cost so much (the dennerle ones). I am using the one that comes with the nutrafin co2 set.

I have used those spinning ball ones before and those are 100% efficient. However, in the long run, they are usually hard to maintain as algae clots up the container and the balls get stuck. Once, because of this, it broke my external filter water flow as the bubbles built up.

Think I will stick to the glass bowl thing. However my riccia has yet to start bubbling yet...think they have gotten used to not bubbling already.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    errr.. in terms of performance, the flipper would be at the bottom of the list, along side with the bell method. diffuser will depends on the size of your tank, so if u have a 25mm dia diffuser in a 4ft then you need to increase the 'bps' as to impose a 2ft with the same diameter of diffuser.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketshrimp
    Always had the impression that flippers are efficient when comes to dissolving co2, esp when they cost so much
    thot so too... but anyway, flippers are quite fun to watch when the bubbles slowly reduces in size as they roll up the ladder.

i have tried almost all the diff types of CO2 injection. IMO, the most effective will be the external reactor.
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Agree with Bro wf7850...I try b4 the nutrafin co2 set but find it not as effecient as the glass type. but compare to reactor, I think reactor still the best. Got $ get external 1 even much better. I think last time got a poll on this topic b4. I think most prefer the reactor type.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks all.

Appreciate the info.

My riccia still not bubbling yet..strange.

I have this idea to tie riccia at different depths of my tank. I think they are good indicators as to whether the portion of the tank is receiving enough light. Sort of a organic light meter...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok...decided to go for the reactor. Where is good place to buy?

Looking for the nuclear powered ones.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketshrimp
    Ok...decided to go for the reactor. Where is good place to buy?

Looking for the nuclear powered ones.
    I suggest you stick to CO2 ones. Otherwise, you will get into problems with IAEA and the US.

You can try NA at balestier for their external reactors.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Or else you can try to DIY the internal reactor w/venturi action via the one at Tom Barr's website at BarrReport.com or do an external one with venturi as well.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i have this small Rena internal filter for my planned 2ft. it has this little inlet near the water exit to plug in a co2 tube. link has pic of the filter http://www.discoveraquatics.co.uk/fi...filstariv2.htm

is this an effective way of getting co2 into the system? have not used the filter, wonder if is better to get a canister with reactor instead...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    i was wondering if u can fix one of those glass bowl into the external reactor will it increase the efficiency of the co2 difussion? a faster rate?