Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

where to get badis badis?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi there need to get one or two to eat up my snails... where to get?
    Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    go Kingfisher (near aljuneid mrt)
    but for snail control, puffer is a better choice.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i see, thanks! But I read from the net somehwere Badis Badis dun bite fish after they cleared up all the snails, unlike the puffer.
    My fren litmusblue went to Jalan Kayu fish farm and the person there says Badis Badis will eat shrimp.. so she bought a puffer instead.
    Anyone has experience with this can confirm?

Basically I want a fish in my tanks to eat snails and dun disturb my guppies and tetras..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Badis badis will not harm larger fish but will try to bully or eat smaller fishes. Get the puffers instead. Net it out when they've done their job in dealing with the snails.

Adult badis are only effective against smaller snails. For larger snails you might have to do manual removal.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi all, thanks so much for all the help! I will prob now go with the puffer fish method... thanks again!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    Badis badis will not harm larger fish but will try to bully or eat smaller fishes. Get the puffers instead. Net it out when they've done their job in dealing with the snails.

Adult badis are only effective against smaller snails. For larger snails you might have to do manual removal.
    Well, not very true though. 3 adult badis corycaues cleaned out my 6 footer plaqued by snails infestation. They do wipe out all snails, including MTS and cherry snails. However, if you get badis badis (scarlet badis), they do only pick only smaller snails. Puffers only pick smaller snails too.

As for badis picking on smaller fishes, that is not true too. I have a 2 feet tank that are filled with 20+ pcs of badis corycaeus (?), a betta splenden and 10 platies, all of them are quite well with no nipped tails.....

vincent
    If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere. - Vincent Van Gogh

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by TanVincent
    As for badis picking on smaller fishes, that is not true too. I have a 2 feet tank that are filled with 20+ pcs of badis corycaeus (?), a betta splenden and 10 platies, all of them are quite well with no nipped tails.....
    Try Badis badis with small Boraras. You'll get what I mean. Badis are usually ambush predators. With faster moving fish they usually do not disturb each other.

The assortment is by no means an indicator. A Betta can hold its own against the Badis and the platies themselves are pretty fast moving and surface oriented fishes. If you kept bottom dwelling fish the Badis will almost always try to disturb them. I saw mine going after my torrent loaches, corys etc. But they almost always fail to injure the other fish. I did lose one or two Boraras to the adult Badis though...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by free2roam
    I have 3 badis badis together with 3 smaller sparkling gouramis in a small tank set up. The badis are the larger fishes, but they get along fine with the smaller gouramis. So far no chasing or anything. The badis badis seems very peaceful to me. However, I know that the puffers can be good tail eaters. Especially as they grow larger and as the snails disappear other fishes' tails become tantalizing snacks to them.
    I hope you're referring to Badis badis and not the smaller Scarlet Badis aka Dario dario.

Adult Badis are territorial and will not hesitate to attack smaller fishes if they come too near. They are usually bottom-dwelling fishes and usually do not disturb those that remain near the surface like your gouramis.

I have kept both and can speak from experience. Even the small sparkling gourami itself can turn into a tiny terror if you do not keep them in groups.