3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Low-Main Questions

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Good evening all. I am due to collect my 4 x 1.5 x 1.5 tank this coming weekend and am intending to set up a low maintenance scape that consitutes primariy of ferns, anubia and various crypts. Before i take the plunge into hapzardly scaping the tank, i have a couple of queries as follow:

1) Do i still maintain my CO2 at 30ppm as per the normal recommendation? There will be base fert (JBL mixed with lapis) added with black quartz as the gravel and the lighting is supplemented by 2 sets of 2 x 36W PLL.

2) The conventional practice is to plant as heavily as possible from the onstart but i'm looking to keep majority of the foreground 'unplanted' and the only 'root' plants would be the crypts. Will there be any issues/problems as such?

Many thanks for your kind attention.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi Cherabin,

1) it will be good to maintain that level to avoid any possible algae problem and to keep the plants healthy and happy. You will still need fertilizer but at probably a lower dosage rate.

2) You may get aglae problems. Try to add frogbits or floating plants for the 1st month and gradually decrease them to find the balance.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    1) Why not try without CO2 since it is low-tech and low maintenance? With lowered lighting of about 2W/g, it should work out.

2) There are people who do not put base fertilisers on those spots which they plan not to have rooted plants. Or maybe lesser base fert on those spots.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by lorba
    hi Cherabin,

1) it will be good to maintain that level to avoid any possible algae problem and to keep the plants healthy and happy. You will still need fertilizer but at probably a lower dosage rate.

2) You may get aglae problems. Try to add frogbits or floating plants for the 1st month and gradually decrease them to find the balance.
    1) I have been using Seachem NPK, Iron and Trace. Would that sufice for fertilisation in the water column? What would be the recommended dosage when using the stated range of fert for such a low-main setup?

2) That's an excellent idea that never crossed my mind. Thanks a zillion.

Quote Originally Posted by juggler
    1) Why not try without CO2 since it is low-tech and low maintenance? With lowered lighting of about 2W/g, it should work out.

2) There are people who do not put base fertilisers on those spots which they plan not to have rooted plants. Or maybe lesser base fert on those spots.
    1) I already have a CO2 set at my disposal and hence instead of letting it go to waste, would most probably utilise the set. Will do as what lorba recommended and maintain the 30ppm CO2 conc.

2) My base fert consists of only a tub of JBJ fert mixed with a bag of lapis. Intending to 'plant' root monsters at those spots that are gonna be planted.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    frogbits consume alot of nutrients right?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    most floating plants consumed alot of nutrients. and filter out the lighting. good for low maintance tank