Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Besides a well written letter, we need a plan of action that will give us reach to the right audience (with impact), as well as making sure that the retailers understand our concerns and at the same time not threatening their commercial interests.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm... What kind of pointers would you need? Things like: Needle size, lifespan reduced, UK's having similar campaign, fish can feel pain too, which shops are selling these, what if the same thing happens to your dog/children, etc...?

I am going on a holiday very soon... After Christmas, I should be able to help contribute...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    When I say "I" I mean we have to be willing to act alone for something we believe in. "We" is the product of many "I"s

Anyhoo, I'm willing to fund the poster thing on my own. It's pretty cheap. I'll call it an art project

But seriously, how to make LFSs listen? Boycott. Buy from shops that don't sell dyed fish. It's usually the newer shops that appeared after the luohan craze, that stock dyed fish from what I can tell. Go to places like Kingfisher and Ecoculture. And educate the owners themselves cos some of them are completely clueless to what they're doing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If we are doing posters, how many posters do you think we may need?
    I can help get the printers, prices at a discount.
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    [IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ]
    The following project is solely MY idea. It has not been endorsed and is in no way supported by the moderators of AQ. Any and all support from the members and moderators will be welcome. But mods, if you guys deem this inappropriate, let me know and I'll take it somewhere else
    [IMPORTANT - MAKE SURE YOU GET IT]

Actually it'll only cost $2 to make an A4 sticker/poster. Heck I could make car decals as well... For about the same price.... So it's pretty cheap, all things considered. We just have to hit the major LFSes Or the ones that see the most traffic. And I'm gonna make it REALLY gory to get people's attention. I've got it all in my head now...

Two part poster
    Divided horizontally
    Top half is a girl(preferably crying) with a HUGE syringe right through her face
    Second half is a very nice clean sterile looking lab with a fish, in a shallow tray about to get injected by a person with lab gloves on.

I'm going for strong contrast in the "moods" of the two halves. Top half will be dark, painful, grimy, dirty, bloody. Bottom half will have that white washed, super clean, unnatural artificial look that archetypal "evil MNCs" have in movies. Resident Evil fans know what I'm talking about

Now... I'm gonna need a few things:

2ft long, 1cm in diameter aluminium tube(they syringe)
    Someone with a cheek piercing(i can photoshop it but this'd be easier)
    White latex gloves
    Small innocent looking syringe
    Somewhere sterile looking... clean and white. Clinic?
    Photography lights(A powerful white torchlight will do)
    And lastly an indian glass fish that ISN'T already painted.

Now, I can get all these things on my own but any help would be appreciated.
    I will also be putting this poster in my future portfolios and resumes. So please don't accuse me of "cheating you of your fish".

Here's the layout. And yes, I know a farmer in india who feeds whatever he catches from the river to his pigs/ducks. He used to work for my dad a few years ago The badly drawn/abstract pictures will of course be replaced with properly shot photos. The reason why I'm using white and black is because I want strong contrast from the blood in the top pic, and I want to enhance the clean-ness of the bottom pic. Any and all organisations involved in this will have their logos published at the bottom. Mind you this is just a 5min job. But like I always say, "Try to imagine ok?"
    Last edited by XnSdVd; 22nd Dec 2005 at 05:20.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    If we nvr try, it will nvr work. However, its depends really on the admin and mod of AQ to decide. To my personal capacity, I'll try to bring the awareness through as many channels as I possibly can, e.g. posting on forums, blog, website, talking to LFS, etc. Worst come to worst, boycotting a particular LFS myself if needed.

Cheers
    JC
    Last edited by solonavi; 22nd Dec 2005 at 11:15.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    AQ will support this movement and will be more than happy to help organise it. However, as I said in the earlier post, it has to be a coordinated effort, with strategic thought behind the execution and reach as well as follow up activities.

How about we start a project group on this and aim to get the required literature out by end Feb/early March?

Who is project leader? Justikanz? Members?

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I can help out as well on the shoot and the poster...don't need lightings for this one XnSdVd

But frankly, I hate this dyed fish thing...I saw it at Rainbow at Upper Serangoon and I was just commenting how stupid looking man made the fish looked, one customer happily took and bought a couple of the parrot fishes....they don't know how bloody cruel that is...

XnSdVd: I like the idea of the poster. But I feel that the problem is that people do not equate fish to animals because they don't bleed as much. Less blood equals to low lifeform, who reallys cares about pain induced to plants when we eat them raw? (Though its already proven that plants to show pain and fear when inflicted )

So if we want to educate the people, I think we should bring up the caste level of fishes so that people will know that they are really just like your cats and dogs at home...or even your own kid..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny

Who is project leader? Justikanz? Members?

Cheers,
    I second for thomas or shannon or jc as the project leaders.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I'll be most glad to be part of the team but no as leader lar. Me sucks in leadership. Probably a mod as leader will be a better idea?

Cheers
    JC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I wouldn't mind leading but i doubt my own ability... haha. And i imagine thomas will be busy with work/holidaying...There are other better leaders in the forum but I don't want to pressure anyone into anything -points at a certain someone dealing in agriculture-

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi guys,

We will be more than happy to spear head the movement if we have enough help. Let's organise a gathering to get the framework of the project in order so that there is structure and direction to our efforts as well as measurable objectives.

In the meantime, I was looking at other web resources and found www.deathbydyeing.org. Here are some of their banners...

So can we meet next week?

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    While things are underway to start the campaign to discourage LFSs from selling dyed fishes, may I suggest a "Sticky" thread be created to list those LFSs engaging in such trading. This is to help our members to spend their money judiciously. Regards.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Tat's a cool fine. Gona use it as my signature for all the forum I visit.

Let me know when is the meeting.

Cheers
    JC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry guys. I was away for the day. Lead? Hmm... Why not we meet up and then discuss on it? I definitely dun mind playing a part in the campaign. I will be away at KL from 24th to 27th. So, I am only able to meet up after that.

Shannan, suggest you might want to:

1) Tone down on the girl thing a little. Emphasize the crying and the neddle size. Dun need the needle thru the face. We want people to look at and pay attention to the poster but not scare them.

2) Maybe we should not downplay the supposed value of glassfish. They are very beautiful in their original way. In fact, I liked them (the natural and un-dyed ones) a lot and was thinking of a tank for them. We dun want people to think them as cheap fish and then start using them as feeders! We dun have to undermine the value of one fish to get the idea of cruelty of colouring fish across. Afterall, not only the glassfish is dyed.

Just some ideas.
    Last edited by Justikanz; 22nd Dec 2005 at 23:27.

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    @justikanz: ahh... you've got a point... did i mention that guy used to eat bettas as well? hahaha! But seriously, to have 80% losses and still sell the fist at $1 a piece it's got to be as cheap as feeders...

Semota has a few ideas swirling around in his head right now. And since he's more the "industry expert" than me. I'll gladly just follow his lead. As for not scaring people. That was the whole idea of the photo. Ever noticed how many times you walk past posters without even knowing what they're about? I know people who look at AIDs awarness posters and think they're hair removal adds... You've got to have something that'll make someone stop and look.

That said, I'm open to alternative ideas. That and I don't see why we can't have a variety of posters to choose from before we print

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Guys,

Details of the gathernig here...

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=17024

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think it will be most effective if you get this movement telecast by the media - eg media corp.

Maybe the "senior rank" bros in AQ, eg benny, budak, may want to interview, and explain how the "dying and modification" process take place.

The effect is bigger. let AQ consider

tango
    Adopt all unwanted neon & cardinal tetra

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If wanna go thru media, I have a journalist fren working in the Today newspaper. If you guys wan, I try to get in contact contact him and see if he is interested in doing the article.

Then like tango say, the moderators or the senior guys here in AQ can do an interview or something.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I know of a journalist in ZB... And can also ask my Corporate Comms colleagues to recommend journalists... Heh heh... But think the media can be informed when we are more or less settled...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast