Images
    Country
    Singapore

Question Siamese Algae Eater

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I had serious snails outbreak problem for nearly 2 months, just couldn't find a good solution to remove them.

However just a week ago, I had introduce 2 Siamese Algae Eater into the tank and within a few days, I noticed that most of the snails had disappear.

Anybody could advise if the Siamese Algae eater feeds on the snails?

Cheers!

FishGoogle

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    saw many horseface loach in C328 (both the original as well as the middle shop). very effective snail eater, just get one will do.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    SAE's are not known to eat snails. I can think of 2 possibilities... (1) the SAE's are competing with the snails for food, or (2) the SAE's actually ate the snail eggs. I think the former, since the existing population of snails should last longer, if they are not being eaten or starved.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by fishgoogle
    I had serious snails outbreak problem for nearly 2 months, just couldn't find a good solution to remove them.

However just a week ago, I had introduce 2 Siamese Algae Eater into the tank and within a few days, I noticed that most of the snails had disappear.

Anybody could advise if the Siamese Algae eater feeds on the snails?

Cheers!

FishGoogle
    Hi FishGoogle, Siamese Algae will not even effective as Algae eater (Sturisoma panamense, the better choice especially the algae on the tank glass, very good). The Siamese fishes, their mouth are not design to eat snail.

Try puffer fishes, highly effective as snail eater. Buy just a small one, it will work.

I brought one small puffer fish from HQ for S$1 per piece, and after its clean the snail in my 3ft and I use for 1ft, and 2ft and come back to anther tank. Sort of recycle it, you can never clean the snail completely because the snail eggs will be hidden somewhere and will appear again after a while.

Use Puffer fish...
    The More You Share, The More You Have

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Star-Flog,
    I had tried the puffer before, but it ended up bitting the fins of the Cardinals.. and at the end of the day, I had a whole school of badly injured tetras.

Cheers!

FishGoogle.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I see. My puffer is approx. 1.0cm (body lenght). So far it has been very peaceful with all my neon tetras and guppies fishes and their fins still intact. When I observe this guy, always seem busy looking, hunting for snails!
    Last edited by vinz; 2nd Jun 2005 at 14:05.
    The More You Share, The More You Have

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Puffers tend to attack other fishes when they run out snails to eat. This is the experience for many people.

If you have more then one tank then do what Star-Flog does, move the fella from tank to tank, then back again. If not, start a small tank (good reason to do a nano planted tank) for it alone or get those betta barracks and segregate it from the other fishes in the main tank.

Another problem is they usually won't eat fish food. You need to provide it with live or frozen blood worms if it has no snails to eat.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if you don't like snails, buy this, ONE will do…

Acantopsis choirorhynchos

why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica