Images
    Country
    Singapore

Too much light?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'm starting a 1 foot cube for shrimps. I only want to use Nana and moss(not made up my mind yet, maybe java, maybe Taiwan). No CO2. My question is - Would an 11W pl be too much, or just right? As you can tell form the question, I'm a newbie... Please go easy on me...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    we won't go easy on you despite you being a newbie

anyway, 11 watt without Co2 will do just fine fo java moss, Anubias and ferns, and cryptocorne.

if you need more inspiration or help, FAQs etc, you can try the aquascaping thread>post your low maintanence thread here.

if you want to have an enirched base, it will do good for the crypts or the echinodorous. Other wise, moss, ferns and Anubias do not require an enriched base.

however, it is recommended that you do not overstock your tank

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks gregorsamsa, but looks like I can't set up a 1 foot cube, it'll be too heavy for my desk.
    Instead, I've bought an "S" size Five Plan tank(roughly 4 gallons). I've changed the bulb to a 9W bulb. If I plan to use the exact same plants as my post above, would that be too much light for the plants? Is there a certain formula I could use to calculate the Watts per gallon? I've read that it's different for smaller planted tanks... If it is(my light being too much for the plants), could I get away with it if I gave them a shorter time period with the lights?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually, the 11W will still be fine for that tank. I have that tank myself But 9W is still ok. The main thing I'd be worried about is temperature since moss thrives in cold temperatures, regardless of light.

The watt per gallon "rule" is just a guideline, it shouldn't be followed strictly. As time goes on, you'll naturally know how much light you need considering the size and plants that you intend to keep.

I'm not sure if you can get away with a shorter time period for overlighting issues. A standard 10 hour time frame is always reccomended.

Welcome to planted tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I had too... The 11W bulb was too long for the tank... Anyway, thanks |squee|, this is not the first time you've helped me out.