Images
    Country
    Singapore

Question Overflow or External Canister Filter for Planted Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Understand that for plant tank, we should use external canister filter as compare to overflow filter as the CO2 which is dissolve in the water will tend to dissappear from the overflow filtering.

Anybody can comment on this?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    it will depends greatly on the fall/drop of the water and the disturbance of the surface

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I am using a sump filter for my planted tank and so is michael koh

but gotta crank up the CO2... I go through a 5 liter tank is just over 2 months for my 6 by 2.5 by 2.5 tank with 3ft sump
    YOU may like living in a pig's sty.... but I dont like swimming in a toilet bowl....CHANGE MY WATER !!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Exclamation

One other concern is that does the smaller fish gets suck into the overflow filter outlet, as it is normally quite a big gap as compare to the canister filter?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    those can be covered with netting

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    some do but I put a small barrier... netting to prevent that
    YOU may like living in a pig's sty.... but I dont like swimming in a toilet bowl....CHANGE MY WATER !!

blur one,

maybe i know whats your turn over like ? in terms of liters per hour ? or rather how powerful is your return pump ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Somehow, I think with overflow filter, I think the water temperature will tends to be lower as compare to canister filter, it's like the Teh Tarik effects which one use to pour the water from 1 cup to another to cool down the drink.

But in the case of the canister filter, the casing is enclose, therefore water temperature will tends to be higher.

Can anybody verify this?

Cheers

FishGoogle

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Somehow, I think with overflow filter, I think the water temperature will tends to be lower as compare to canister filter, it's like the Teh Tarik effects which one use to pour the water from 1 cup to another to cool down the drink.
    Last time I went to Y932, the boss also says his temp is lower because of the overflow effect.
    Oh, the rare old Whale, mid storm and gale. In his ocean home will be. A giant in might, where might is right. And King of the boundless sea.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    agreed with cooler temp with overflow effect but the con is the loss of co2. Not much planted want to use overflow bcos of this. At least for me. I rather used the fan to cool the tank instead.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by nleong
    blur one,

maybe i know whats your turn over like ? in terms of liters per hour ? or rather how powerful is your return pump ?

OK... My tank is 6 ft by 2.5 ft by 2.5 ft but actual water height is 2 ft (After tanking off top and substrate height)

Sump is 3 by 2 by 1.8 ft. I use a Dymax 3000 pump but it goes through a few 90 degree bends (PVC Piping) and also a one way valve (Allows water only one direction) The water pressure back into the tank is thus slow... thinking of changing to a bigger pump....

From my understanding... many people use sumps for bigger planted tanks in the States...

Its difficult to explain but if you wanna drop by can show you the set up I have... I am living at Telok Blangah Heights....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I started to investigate the sump system (Overflow) and its more natural way water filtering. The benefits are many folds.

Personally, I think Planted tank not really require a sump system because the filtering as not all that important as compared to people who keep gold fishes, Koi , arowana or Pleco for example. For planted tank, the bio-load is low and a simple Eheim External Canister filter is enough.....Even the output can't be too high as it will dissolve the CO2.

In my next tank, which likely to be a 5ft intended for Pleco tank, I'm planning to use the internal sump system. The sump is open system and can see anything in the medias whether dirty or not. And changing of media is very simple.
    The More You Share, The More You Have

Quote Originally Posted by blur one
    OK... My tank is 6 ft by 2.5 ft by 2.5 ft but actual water height is 2 ft (After tanking off top and substrate height)

Sump is 3 by 2 by 1.8 ft. I use a Dymax 3000 pump but it goes through a few 90 degree bends (PVC Piping) and also a one way valve (Allows water only one direction) The water pressure back into the tank is thus slow... thinking of changing to a bigger pump....

From my understanding... many people use sumps for bigger planted tanks in the States...

Its difficult to explain but if you wanna drop by can show you the set up I have... I am living at Telok Blangah Heights....
    Thanks for the open house I will pop by one day... its near my office.

Why i ask because from the dark side where I came from turnover is important due to the oxygen requiremnet. Guess planted tank is different ya... and your pump, after the head loss for such a big tank, i can imagine how little water movement you have.... my 3ft tank already uses a 2500l/h return pump last time... anyhow, thanks for the info. I will let you know when I have free time to go by

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm planning to setup a planted for my new home also.

May I ask what media you u guys have in the sump?

Thanks
    JC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by solonavi
    I'm planning to setup a planted for my new home also.

May I ask what media you u guys have in the sump?

Thanks
    JC

harlow fellow sengkang-er!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Halo bro.

JC

Feedback Score

Question

Hi Bro Blur One,

I'm just starting a planted tank.
    When will you be free to give some advice and demo?
    I work near bukit merah central
    I'm in the process of buying the necessary equipments.
    Thanks.

Hp: 9146 2919
    2 U he''s a pet, 2 him U R his everything ;p