Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Question algae inhibitor lighting

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    found out recently about ADA lights being algae inhibiting as well.

dennerle makes them too-see this site for a bit of plant/algae history
    http://www.reptilica.de/shop/product.../lang/english/

how about pl and mh lights? anybody knows about such bulbs?
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I remember ADA lights being manufactured for a high level of a specific temperature/spectrum of light.

There hasn't been any plant-friendly PL tubes in the market unfortunately

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In my experience, light colour, among CO2, nutrients, and even dissolved organics, has the least to do with algae outbreak. IMO, it is not worth the money to spend on those so-call "plant light". I don't use these lights and I do not have problem with algae.

Any good FL or PL for normal application is more than sufficient to meet the plants light requirement.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by bclee
    In my experience, light colour, among CO2, nutrients, and even dissolved organics, has the least to do with algae outbreak. IMO, it is not worth the money to spend on those so-call "plant light". I don't use these lights and I do not have problem with algae.

Any good FL or PL for normal application is more than sufficient to meet the plants light requirement.

BC
    there could be truth in the dennerle researh fiindings because i noticed a lot of algae outbreak in pl lighting configs. mostly the dreaded ba's.

for fl's, i used to use cheap lighting [azoo, hitachi etc] and i got a lot of ba's. ugh. switching to sera made a big improvement.[but still had to scrape the walls]
    i hope to get better results with the ADA ones coupled with dennerle fertilization method.[once fortnightly water change]

can somebody please make an auto liquid fert dispenser?[with multi chambers, daily, skip one day, per wk or two wks timer, choice of drip or drop] that would really solve all my problems!

this is mainly because my housemates[apt tank] and folk[at home] don't really get the science of all this and are only good at topping up and changing water, feeding when i'm away for as long as one month.

i live in hope...

stan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Stan, your issues with algae is mainly due to lack of nutrients/CO2 with respective to the amount of light. As the light intensity increases, plants demand more CO2 and nutrients. Keep up on both the CO2 and nutrients (N,P,K,traces,GH(Ca/Mg) and you will have no issues.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee
    Stan, your issues with algae is mainly due to lack of nutrients/CO2 with respective to the amount of light. As the light intensity increases, plants demand more CO2 and nutrients. Keep up on both the CO2 and nutrients (N,P,K,traces,GH(Ca/Mg) and you will have no issues.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    true true true,

me don't have this problem anymore.

the algae problems are due to friends' lack of scientific understanding or common sense.[overfeeding, keeping lights on 24/7, quarantining plants, etc]