Advertise here
    Which is better and which should i get?
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    If the filter is for your 6ft, you can consider 2028, hassle free. The wet/dry feature of 2227/2229 is not necessary for planted tank.In addition, it will cost you more. Anyway, I don't think single 2028 would satisfy the need of 6ft. You should take 2250/2260 in consideration as well.
    Aquatic plants and LEGO collector.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ya thought of getting 2260 but will it be like abit crazy ?
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I saw a 6ft planted tank in JB with 2260 without any problem, however i am not sure priming is a headache or not.
    Aquatic plants and LEGO collector.

The 2250/60 doesnt come with any priming aid so u have to prime like crazy! hehe But if you have the on/off valves your only headache would be the first prime thats all.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The 2260 does not come with any valves. Both inlet and outlet are also not the same size. I forgot whether the outlet or the inlet one is bigger. But it is the biggest valve in eheim range and it costs $80+. Buying both valves will set you back about $100+.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    what tank size?

what setup?

big or small fish?

high or load bio load?

2028, 2229, 2260 each have their own strenghts and weaknesses.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    6ft,planted,low bioload,apisto.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i feel 2229 will fit in nicely between 2028 and 2250/2260.

reasons :

==>2028:
    conventional canister. Works well for your kind of setup up till 5 ft...but 6ft i think it will be a little bit under....esp when you have a big tank, you will definitely be tempted to throw in more fish.

although your fish are small, and the plant is planted itself, i think not sufficient.

===> 2060:
    classic design, fool proof, efficient, and most impt, powerful. However, i think it is not needed for your kind of setup. If we are talking abt a 6ft tank of big fish with big poo big waste, yes we need something like a 2260 to pump things up. Plus the fact that big fish community require much strong circulation.

===> 2229

unconventional design.
    main features:
    (1)very high biological efficiency. (quite a bit higher than 2028, which is of same size)
    (2)uses only strictly ehemsubstrate , THUS,
    if your 6ft tank is filled with large fish, (which will inevitably be messy and the poo itself is bigger than an apisto ), the large waste will get in the way of optimal function of the filter. 2229 does break down larger waste and eventually "eats them up", but if for a 6ft tank, it will not be able to catch up despite its very high efficiency.
    (3)high oxygenation of water
    (4)lower current

for (1), of coz it is desirable. And 2229 can support your tank size as you are keeping smaller species.
    (2)2, as your apisto cannot produce much waste, and anyway the waste will be taken up mostly by plants too, it is great.
    (3) your tank is a 6ft, the 2229 is not powerful enough to over-oxygenate your planted tank....if for a 4ft tank, you have to check. But 6ft, quite safe.
    (4) your tank doesnt need a strong current, so it is good.

so you see how the filter fits in:

-offers very powerful biological filtration

-your tank is a small-poo tank. So the 2229 can really "concentrate" on its biological task....harnessing its bio-capability to the very max

--------------------------------------

2028 costs the least,abt 300$. but the capacity issue, so it is out.

2229 costs a little less than 400$ with everything in (7litres of ehfisubstrate). 2060 will cost a little more than that with conventional media and valves thrown in.

so cost wise, 2229 is only a little less than 2060 (perhaps 50$ less eventually)

but for the reasons i gave you, you are better off with a 2229. Both will meet your filtration requirement. But a 2229 matches your tank environment much better.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i will just explain the 2229 in case you havent fully understood the filter.

operation:
    (1). prime the filter normally.
    (2) once primed, on power
    (3) the filter contains a float valve. When the canister is filled with water, the float valve will open, and water is emptied from the canister rapidly.
    (4) after the canister empties, the float valve closes.
    (5) only a very small amount of water flows out of the canister now...just enough to keep the impeller blades lubricated
    (6) meanwhile the canister keeps filling
    (7) once filled up, float valve activated and canister empties again.

Implications:
    (1) the filter media experiences frequent wet and dry stages ===>
    There is a 3rd tube for air besides the 2 conventional In and Out tubes. When the canister empties itself, air is actually sucked in.
    THis high exposure to air will mean that the media is richly oxygenation, esp when it is at the dry stage. Aerobic bateria super thrive. plus the surface area of 7litres of ehfisubstrate.....
    Super bacteria colony

(2) water contacts the media in 2 directions: downward when emptying, upwards when filling ===> boost the biological capacity further

(3) the mechanical movement of water up and down break up larger pieces of waste. and smaller pieces do get "Eaten up" by the rich bacteria colony.

DRAWBACKS:
    the wet-dry function is more delicate than conventional function. thus it gets affected more easily by external factors.

- large pieces of waste. esp those "indigestable" like plant stems. They will obstruct the smooth function of the filter...esp when the water keeps moving up and down. most common source of noise. and decreased efficiency

- strict height requirement. 1-1.2m from water surface to canister base level is a need for proper functioning.

- more moving parts, so care must be taken when setting up or maintaining.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thx lSZ you gave me great info do u think a 2229 and a 2028 can be use at the same time or just a 2229 alone will do? i'm tempted to get one 2229 and 2227 what are your viewS?
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    one 2227 and 2229 will cost you a lot of money

and not price efficient , coz small filters are always more expensive.
    (EG, a 2250 is exactly 2x2217 in terms of capacity and also same flowrate. But 2250 can be gotten at $280 but 2x2217 costs $360. )

i will advice against it.

it is really the cost issue here.

A 2229 is justifiable from the bigger picture if it can be used as the single filter as your setup.

imagine 2x2229, 800$, you can get 3x2228 with change. i will get 3x2228 if i am you.

but for 1x2229, you can get 1x2028 with 100$ change, but the 2229's capacity outweighs that in proportion. 1x2229 still better...

if you are thinking of 2229 plus 2028 (abt 700)
    you can actually have 2x2260....................

so if you are not using 2229 as a single filter, then you should scrape plans of it altogether and perhaps get 2x2228 instead (2228 cost abt 230$ now i think..no priming but to me it doesnt not justify the extra price by so much)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    and also,
    i feel 2229 is enough for your setup.

the results will be subtle. (esp the flow rate)

I am currently using a Ehiem 2229 wet/dry filter on my 3 ft apisto tank, a good and hassle free filter.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hmm thx for the advise i think i will be getting a 2229 see how the performance if not very good then i add in another 2028 or cheaper 2228.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    let me know if you need any established media i can pass you some so your cycling process can be accelerated.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thx for the help but i don't think i will have problems cycling the tank.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i got a freaking time carring the 2229 filter back home , so long =( in the end take cab lolz
    Cheers!

Benetay

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    already spend so much $$$.. what is another few dollars to u Benny? hehehehe[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Cannot like that say Kelvin, Money is important.i really bo bian then take cab if not i try not to.

Anyway my tank soon be setting up Finnaly..after such a long wait.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast