Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: Which method do you use in your planted tanks?

Voters
351. You may not vote on this poll
  • High-tech method (CO2 enriched)

201 57.26%
  • Low-tech method (non-CO2 enriched)

78 22.22%
  • Both methods

68 19.37%
  • Neither method works for me

1 0.28%
  • Hybrid method (do elaborate...)

3 0.85%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What plant tank methods do you use?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    yes it is, it looks like some muddy dark brown muck. like coffee grounds if i recall correctly. that's why it has to be tied in a fine cloth material.

i wish i knew more but it's very common in jakarta where i travel to meet clients.

i'll ask a friend and give you a pm soonest...they're in la la land now...
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    High tech can turn low tech.
    I have a 100 Gallon tank that started off high tech a year ago. Slowly it's transformed into low tech. Never changed PL lights for one year so it got dimmer. I stopped adding C02 but made sure no surface agitation to gas off what CO2 there is. Stopped fertilizing. Stopped water changes almost completely - just top up. I just feed the fish plenty (thats fertilizer), removed most of the filter media (plants like ammonia). I change 40%water maybe once a quarter. Most of this happened without any plan in mind - just no time. Then I read Diana Walstad's "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium" and discovered it was a valid alternative approach. So far I'm very happy with the results. No significant algae. Growth isn't explosive and the "pearling" junkies among us would be disappointed with it. But plants grow fast enough - I have to trim maybe every 3-4 weeks and thats enough for me.

So yes Non CO2 is great for me. But which one is best depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    I am so glad to have found this thread. I have a 90 gallon, 2.4 wpg, half flourite/half gravel planted tank, dosing Kent fertilizers at half dose once a week.. My plants are growing all the time. Everytime I post in a thread about a small algae problem, I get a response that says that I can't do it without CO2. I almost went over to "the other side" but then decided it was just another "thing to worry about." Although it is probably going to be a challenge to find the right plants and nutrients, I plan to stick with a non-CO2 tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    I've suggested the virtues of non CO2 non water changing methods for many years.

You can amplify the method slighly and get a lot of gain for little work if you add some SeaChem Equlibrium once a week at about 1/4 teaspoon per 25-50gallon of tank and feed the fish slightly more.

After the tank matures and most of the nutrients have been used up in the substrate, you can add KNO3/KH2PO4 once a week, at 1/4 teaspoon KNO3 and KH2PO4 1/16th teaspoon per 50-60 gal and 5mls of TMG etc (all once a week). Skip one week per month.

This routine is easy, you dose 1-4 things once a week, takes about 45 seconds.

This will provide more gains and plant growth, namely healthier growth rather than faster growth. It'll also allow you to grow more species and more species together in the same tank.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Question with regards to the poll :

(1) Is DIY CO2 considered "High Tech" ?
    (2) People who selected both methods do you refer to have more than 1 tank and one type each ?
    (3) What is consdered as "Hybrid" method ? (Some days with CO2 and days without CO2?)

Do not know which to select....
    Last edited by grey_fox; 20th Jun 2007 at 14:05. Reason: short form removed and sentence structure.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    What if you use all the methods?

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    then select your favorite one
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    then select your favorite one
    But they all my favorites

Regards,
    tom barr

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow, this thread is getting surprising long.... and very informative I think everyone has their own preference and methods of maintenance. I think both fast and slow growing planted tank can be equally nice and rewarding depending on your expectations and requirements. For now, i enjoying fast and my 2 month old tank using all the high-tech stuffs to help achieve this (will upgrade to MH very soon) One bro pointed out very truthfully, all the work with trimming, replanting, adjusting, changing water, removing dead leaves/algae, dosing fertiliser etc etc are alot of work! So tired sometimes, but if you have a target in mind to achieve, just think of it and no regrets! ha... just my humble opinion

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by dc88 View Post
    Question with regards to the poll :

(1) Is DIY CO2 considered "High Tech" ?
    (2) People who selected both methods do you refer to have more than 1 tank and one type each ?
    (3) What is consdered as "Hybrid" method ? (Some days with CO2 and days without CO2?)

Do not know which to select....
    1: DIY co2 is enriching water like the more powerful costly to start pressurized one. I would not strictly quote co2 as the only factor but rather "high" enrichment paired with stronger lights and fert dose as high tech.

Right now I have no co2 enriched tank. Slow and steady reaps a good harvest.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234