Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Better, you need a smaller outflow tube so you can get a good spiral effect or push the end of the elbow to one side of the tube.

You could use a slightly large tube or a slightly smaller powerhead.

It's better to add 2 DIY Reactors rather than one jumbo one for larger tanks.

I'd suggest 2 on a 90 gal or more.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i came to realise that this reactor actually looks like the ones we buy from the shop, those with bio balls inside but less the venturi tube.

can anyone tell me wats the diff ? as in wat does the venturi do ?
    I had remove the bio balls from my reactor but kept everything else there.
    trying to convert my reactor into something like those posted (as i seen NA using it this way too).

comments guys ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, I am using the UP brand (green color) internal reactor, except I don't use the co2 inlet , instead I put the co2 tube into the suction of the powerhead (as suggested by some bro ) to chop the co2 into tiny gas before the reaching the reactor . I followed Tom Barr's reactor by drilling a small hole with a airtube connect back to the powerhead.

To evenly distributes the CO2 tiny gas from the reactor, I DIY a rainbar to stretch from left to right.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Sorry to reopen an old thread but what do you use for the Venturi Tube? Is it a straw?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Tom Barr's DIY Internal Reactor w/venturi

Quote Originally Posted by neon View Post
    Yes, I am using the UP brand (green color) internal reactor, except I don't use the co2 inlet , instead I put the co2 tube into the suction of the powerhead (as suggested by some bro ) to chop the co2 into tiny gas before the reaching the reactor . I followed Tom Barr's reactor by drilling a small hole with a airtube connect back to the powerhead.

To evenly distributes the CO2 tiny gas from the reactor, I DIY a rainbar to stretch from left to right.
    Bro, care to share a pic? i am using the same UP brand.
    Now still still in pilot phase
    (cuz my drift wood is testing my patience by refusing to sink )

Also your rainbar, from PVC tubes?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by samuelgoh View Post
    i came to realise that this reactor actually looks like the ones we buy from the shop, those with bio balls inside but less the venturi tube.

can anyone tell me wats the diff ? as in wat does the venturi do ?
    I had remove the bio balls from my reactor but kept everything else there.
    trying to convert my reactor into something like those posted (as i seen NA using it this way too).

comments guys ?
    It seems like the venturi tube is there to allow the powerhead to suck in CO2 from the accumulated CO2 in the reactor. That way, the powerhead will make tiny bubbles to allow better absorption.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Just to share another reactor with venturi design. This one is made from a 60ml syringe which is of softer plastic easier to work on.

(1) Dymax powerhead PH-200, an ideal size to start with

(2) Remove the inlet cover

(3) Remove the flow control disc and drill on it a 5mm hole (cautious step needed !!! take care of safety, get adult to help)

(4) Fix the venturi tube: using air tube L-connectors & tubing.

(5) Overview of the 60ml Syringe ($2+ from Guardian Pharmacy) & the powerhead assembled.
    The length of the syringe can be cut shorter if desired, to allow the fine mist of CO2 bubbles to disperse out more freely.

(6) Put into action (note the orientation of the powerhead so to prevent air-lock when start/stop).
    The CO2 bubble size is finer than from any commercial diffusor.

This setup is ideal for DIY CO2 (yeast fermentation) system. With the powerhead connect to the same timer as the light, it will deliver very fine mist of CO2 bubbles when the light is on. When it is off, CO2 will burp out from the pump inlet area to the water surface so not to over stress the fishes at night.
    Last edited by dc88; 28th May 2012 at 20:26.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Sorry to necro this. But in the origional post how is this mounted to the tank vertically? The suction cups are on top. I am confused

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The suction caps on yhe powerhead (on top) are not used. There is another larger suction cup mounted to the plastic tube at the side, and hold the tube vertically.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123