Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: To DIY an overflow or just get a canniter filter?

Feedback Score

To DIY an overflow or just get a canniter filter?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Confused on the above matter for a 4ft planted tank with discus?Price is abt the same but wonder abt their reliability,maintenace and water quality aspects???

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    not much of a difference imo
    but for convenience, go for the canister

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If you DIY a overflow, it can be cheaper than cannister. IMO, a overflow easier to maintain... at least you dun have to open the thing up for cleaning... plus, it maintains the water level.
    YMMV.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi there ... overflow ... is that where you use an external powerhead to pump water from a small tank (with various types of filter medium) and the water in the main tank overflow back into the small tank ?? I supposed this needs customised fish tank to allow the water to flow out of the tank and downwards into the filter tank ? thks.

No no, peterkoh, you got the wrong working idea of overflow filter. No need to customise tanks. Let me see, I also hope I am correct for this.

You got a powerhead which pumps water INTO the small tank which you hook on the side. The water passes through filter medium and then OVERFLOWS out back into the tank.

[:]
    Visit Spilopterus' Tank
    Fish of Fury

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Since this is posted in the planted tank column, i assumed it for planted tank.

Overflow will cause you to lose more CO2 than cannister. Thus, the CO2 injection should increase.

However the sump make a convenient place to put thermometer, CO2 reactor/diffuser or even heater. It's also a good place to put fertisliser or KH up/down and other medication. The concentration will not be too great when it enter the main tank.

You need to check whether you have that extra space to put the sump.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No Bryan, trickle filter doesn't get rid of more CO2 than canister, IF it is sealed to prevent mixing of water and air. Read the George Booth article on the experiment that he did with trickle filter.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/24/2002 7:15:25 PM

No Bryan, trickle filter doesn't get rid of more CO2 than canister, IF it is sealed to prevent mixing of water and air. Read the George Booth article on the experiment that he did with trickle filter.

----------------
    Oh. Is it? That's something I dun know. Thanks CK.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i see. thks. then it is very similar to those commercial overflow that people usually use for very small tank. i can't imagine anything bigger hanging outside the tank unless you have a cabinet to conceal the sides as well. it seems that customised tanks liike overflow technique.