Country
    Austria

floating driftwood problem

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hey anyone can help me?

Just bought a peice of branchy DW from NA. Buit found out after tying all the moss on it that it floats! do i have to boil it first? Or treat it somehow? Solved the problem temporarily by jamming it b/w corners of my tank.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Boil it, then soak it in water for a day. The next day, do the same thing. Repeat till you get it to sink.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Its better to soak the driftwood before putting it into yr tank unless you like the tannin to change your tank water to brown. Soaking it will also cause the DW to sink.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I did what |squee| suggested with mine. Boiling kills the germs and helps get rid of air trapped in the wood, it also helps leach out tannins present in the wood. IF you can get it to stay submerged by jamming it into the corners of your tank, you should be safe, it will sink after some time...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Boiling will not get rid of ALL tannins. It can still "tan" your water... but just less.

Since you have already tied the moss, just weigh it down with a heavy rock until it stays sunk. Every few days or so, lift the rock slightly to see if the wood still floats. (I'm suffering from the same problem for my new setup because I forgot to soak the wood that I've put aside for my many months.)

Which wood did you get? The chunky stuff that comes with Java ferns and Anubias or the light brown branchy ones? If it is the latter one, it will take a long time to sink. The former usuall sinks within days.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by vinz

Which wood did you get? The chunky stuff that comes with Java ferns and Anubias or the light brown branchy ones? If it is the latter one, it will take a long time to sink. The former usuall sinks within days.
    my "branch", light brown type took weeks to sink...........

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    those mangrove pieces tend to be more challenging. mine took several months with a fossil wood on top to finally stay under

Feedback Score
    Country
    Austria
    yeah vinz
    i got the light branchy one. My water starting to turn abit brown so i guess will have to keep changing it. Thanks for the advice

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by wert
    hey anyone can help me?

Just bought a peice of branchy DW from NA. Buit found out after tying all the moss on it that it floats! do i have to boil it first? Or treat it somehow? Solved the problem temporarily by jamming it b/w corners of my tank.

My friend is also facing the same problem. The DW just won't sink after many days. He is now trying the boiling method. Hopefully it will work. Will update again on his effort.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Arrow .

I found this wonderful dead huge peace of tree trunk in my lake... I chemical treated it, then boiled it, then put it in my bath tub for 2 days in COLD water, the second day in my bathtub it sunk to the bottom. On the 5th day, I put it in my 55 gallon tank, and it floats... DW is a pain in the butt, I weighed it down with a huge rock. Good luck.