Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Sudden Mass Suicide of Cherry Shrimps!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Sudden Mass Suicide of Cherry Shrimps!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Last night was a sad night for me. When I reached home, I discovered that almost half (or could be more!) of my cherry shrimps population(est about 100) has died! Some other behaving strangely. My amano shrimp, usually tranlucent, turns creamy in colour, behaves strangely too.

The day before I added new plants and also dose Fe2+. For the Fe2+ I only dose half of the recommended concentration.

Anyone have similar experience? Are cherries especially sensitive to Fe2+ or the new plants carries with them some chemicals?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Perhaps a case of too much Iron in the water?

How about more details about your tank setup as well as parimeters. Do you have CO2 fertilization? It could also be a case of CO2 poisoning.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There was a similar case. Read here http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=11757
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I once bought a lily from a local farm. It was plucked from one of their concrete ponds.

Before putting into my 4 ft tank, I soaked in a bucket of water for one hour.

My 20 yamato shrimps all turned creamy and also behaved strangely. Within a week, they all died. It was probably because of poisoning. (Luckily, all my fishes and snails were not affected.)

After 2 times of weekly water change of 30% each, new yamato put into the tank also could not survive.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The lily might have been treated with chemicals which might have somehow leeched into the tank. It happens sometimes.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    One of my friend who bought plants from a local fish farm also had the same problem.

Once the new plants are introduced, most of his cherries are killed.

To prevent such thing from happening,
    is it sufficient just to rinse the new plants with tap water?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    More likely the iron. Even though you dosed half...it may be more than the shrimps can take.

If you have shrimps, be very careful when dosing micros. Once, all I did was to dose 5 drops of Dr mallick micros into my 2 ft tank. The next, all the shrimps kicked the bucket. And I mean all.....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketshrimp
    More likely the iron. Even though you dosed half...it may be more than the shrimps can take.

If you have shrimps, be very careful when dosing micros. Once, all I did was to dose 5 drops of Dr mallick micros into my 2 ft tank. The next, all the shrimps kicked the bucket. And I mean all.....
    I have been a heavy user of Dr mallick's and with the weekly PPM ratio's below have not had a problem:
    1.41 Iron EDTA
    0.45 Manganese
    0.16 Boron
    0.06 Zinc
    0.02 Copper
    0.02 Molybdenum

I think it is probably the new plants with associated pesticides that is the likely cause of the problems?

Sorry for your loss... cherries are nice shrimp! Losing a 100+ must be devastating

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

Yes, it's devastating, plus I have to fish out the dead bodies, worst of all being accused as a "murderer" by my wife!

Sorry. Thanks for trying to help, but I do not own any solution or tools for measuring my tank perimeters.