Country
    Singapore

Feedback for AQ's planted tank workshop for beginners

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

It was great to meet you guys today. Hope the session was helpful for you.

Here are some pictures courtesy of TanVincent from Gratiola.

It was quite a cosy environment and the atmosphere was rather casual.

Complete range of planted tank supplements from Ferka.

"Er.. where is it ah?" "Don't worry we are professionals" "You guys shouldn't try this at home"

Vinz demonstrating planting techniques.

This is the top view of the layout plan of the aquascape. Full tank picture will be up in a few days.

We appreciate any constructive feed back and comments to improve future workshops that we will be conducting. If there are any specific question on planted tanks, please don't be shy to start a separate thread and we will do our best to assist.

Thank you once again for the support and we hope that you guys enjoyed it as much as we did. At this point, we would like to take the opportunity to thank Green Chapter/Ferka for the sponsorship of the door gifts and Gratiola for the venue, equipment setup and the refreshments. Last but not least, Vinz, Wackytpt and |squee| for putting this event together.

There should be more pictures to come.

Cheers,
    Last edited by benny; 20th Jun 2005 at 00:26.
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A big Thank You to Vinz, Geoffrey, benny, Wackytpt and |squee| for the wonderful and educational workshop. A thorough and well-prepared presentation by Vinz. Vinz will be much better if he can use a mic... or have more chairs and we can sit closer... I lost of the points...

Looking forward for the next workshop. Thanks guys.

Last but no least, another thank you to Gratiola.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This was sent via Private Messaging from one of the attendees and I will reply to it here..

Hi Benny,

I was at the workshop the other day and I would like to say that you guys did a great job! Vinz covered almost all that is needed for a beginner to start the hobby. Here are some things I personally feel is missing from the workshop.

1) It would be better if emersed and immersed pictures of certain plants be printed out for us or better if AQ can start a library (some plant catalogues only have pics of the emersed plant) and all of us can contribute photos of the plants so that we know what we are buying and also to better plan the layout of the tank.

2) Another thing which I think should be included in this workshop will be the end product of the tank as in how the plants will grow and how they will fill up the tank. With these informations I think it would benefit new hobbists in their planning of the tank and buying the correct plants as some LFS hold plants which are still in their emersed form.

Nevertheless this workshop is a success and I hope to attend more of these sessions.
    On point 1, AQ used to have a plant data base and we are currently working on a new version to replace it. Once the template is up, we will definitely tap on the members contribution to make it a handy online resource.

On point 2, the planted tank will kept and maintained in Gratiola for 3 months so you guys can hop in and have a look anytime. Vincent will be able to answer any queries you may have on the tank and it's progress. Also, we are currently finalising details to put up the tank and it's progress as a journal so that everyone can view the progress as time goes by for the next 90 days. Watch for it. In the meantime, here's a teaser on the final product.

Thanks again for the valuable input.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It was very entertaining and fruitful afternoon spend At Gratiola learning on the various aspects to start a tank....
    Thanks to the various organizers and the well prepared presenter....
    therefore.....the next time i wan to tear down my present tank or start a new tank, i will have more confidence and knowledge to do a much better tank......

Really looking forward to anymore of such workshops, be it for beginners or intermediates....
    i'm ADDicted to this wonderful hobby

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I was inspired to redo the focal points of my tank...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Benny and Kakis
    Firstly, would like to thank all you guys who made it possible. Vinz,nicklaus,geoffrey and friends, thanks for the hospitality.Also to GC for the Ferka doorgifts. The workshop was good and the size of the class was welll thought of. Content wise, I think Vinz covered it.
    But I think the best part was, we got to meet each other in person and made new friends. Definitely a plus point.

Cheers,
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    One thing was definately needed: more chairs

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thank you organisers & sponsors.

I'm more confident now as how I could start my planted tank. Appreciate follow up on the demo tank as to progress & maintenance. Information like type/amount/frequency of fertilisers used will be very useful for newbie like me.

Big thank you again.

mab

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I hope i am not asking for it,

but have you guys thought of a intermediate course? But not something like the "Amano Masterclass".

subjects covered might include.

Pruning techniques
    Photography techniques
    Elements of Design (In aquascaping)
    Aquascaping Techniques (the various layout styles)
    Others

it is just a thought. Or maybe there could be an informal gathering where ideas are exchnage and discussed. Very poseurly, but maybe like book meetings and poetry recitals.

just a thjought

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I thoroughly enjoyed the class....having overrun by about 1 hour tells it all...there's just so much to cover and we were only learning the elementary stuff...

To me, I wish that the following workshop can maybe cover something like types and characteristics of certain easy plants for low, mid and background for beginners to start the planted hobby...also, quite a few of the plants whose names scientific names I'm not familiar with could be linked to photos...looking forward to the database mentioned.

Kudos to the AQ organising team!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    These are valuable feedback for the team. This was actually the first of a series of workshops and we are considering the following..

1) Beginner's workshop once or twice a year.

2) Theme workshops/discussion groups along the lines of aquascaping, use of rocks and wood, algae management etc. Plenty of ideas in the work, but the team is pretty taxed at the moment. We will also be looking for new blood to help with the events.

Once again, good ideas and suggestions. Keep them coming!

Cheers,