Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: will discus eat my yamato shrimp ??

will discus eat my yamato shrimp ??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hello evry'one
    i just want to start a planted tank with discus in it .. supposed the algae eater will be oto , SAE n yamato shrimp .. but i kinda confused when some of my friend told me that Discus will eat yamato .. Is it true ? Becoz yamato kinda expensive here in Indonesia ..
    thx in advance
    cheersss

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's probably not so much of whether the shrimp will be fish food.
    Survival of shrimps in community tanks depend on their size, tank mates and hiding places.

Rule of thumb for you is...can the shrimps fit into the mouth of the discus or other tankmates? If the answer is 'yes', then the chance of it becoming food is there.

Thus if you rteally want shrimps with discus, get the bigger size shrimps with smaller discus, hopefully when your discus grows bigger, they'll get used to their shrimp tankmates.

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just to share my personal experience. I started with 7 Cherry Shrimps with 5 Discus in a 4 x 2 x 2 tank. In the begining I have the same thought as you. However, so far the shrimps have populated todate and the key is to have sufficient hiding places for them.

DK

hello , thx u all 4 the reply ..
    sorry yesterday been so busy that i'm not checking my email ..
    anyway the info been so enlightening , so i just have to growing up the shrimp first then put my juvenile discus later on ..

but firstly i have 2 plant the tank .. because i'm so newbie in this field , my plant should consist just like article in tropica written by George and Karla Booth ...

cheerrss