Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Mosses for new vivarium project.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Mosses for new vivarium project.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My friend went to Jatukja -Thailand and saw there are few types of mosses selling in dry form. They said once you place the mosses inside the humidity or water running thru (Semi-submersed.). It will grow again.

Anyone know what mosses is that? As i know and tested some of them. They can't grow submersed. But emersed.

My new blog about field trip, aquascaping, DIY and etc. http://dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

My new blog about field trip, aquascaping, DIY and etc. http://dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Dom, those that you've received are related to the spaghnum moss family. The structure and density are equivalence to that of the Spaghnum. They're kept moist but not totally dried. They do well in water just above the roots or in a damp environment. With strong overhead lighting, they'll turn a bright light green and compact. Upon maturity, the tips or ends of fronds will turn a slight maroonish silver.

Best kept with good drainage soil to prevent decay and lots of humidity. Full spectrum lighting and high humidity are two major factors in keeping them lush growing. Hope to see these beautiful specimens grown in your tanks.

Just a sidenote, don't have them submerged as they'll start to melt and die. They're mainly meant for terrariums or vivariums as a base coverage or to adhere to corkbark walls or something that's moist.

Regards,
    Phillip.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ginger
    They're mainly meant for terrariums or vivariums as a base coverage or to adhere to corkbark walls or something that's moist.

Regards,
    Phillip.

*argh* i just threw away 1 pot of them when i repotted my orchid brought back from the nursery

hi Philip, will you cover topic on "How to SECURE plants onto stryfoam background or dw for vivarium"??
    Newbie in Aquatic Tank Setup....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi Philip, thank you very much for the usefull information. Are those mosses need low temp and high humidity to grow? They will survive and grow well in high humidity and warm environment?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by yokogi
    *argh* i just threw away 1 pot of them when i repotted my orchid brought back from the nursery

hi Philip, will you cover topic on "How to SECURE plants onto stryfoam background or dw for vivarium"??
    Hi Yokogi, during the Vivaria Projects, that'll be covered during the session, looking forward to see you on that day.

Regards,
    Phillip.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by itssg
    Hi Philip, thank you very much for the usefull information. Are those mosses need low temp and high humidity to grow? They will survive and grow well in high humidity and warm environment?
    Hi Dom, these mosses in general thrive where it's much cooler and they're found in higher elevations. They'll do well also in a warmer climate but try not to have them in a dry surroundings. With ample humidity, the temperature inside the tank will lower down by a degree or two. This is achieved by the evaporation and condensation of water droplets in the morning and in the evening.

Regards,
    Phillip.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    I got it. Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ginger
    Hi Yokogi, during the Vivaria Projects, that'll be covered during the session, looking forward to see you on that day.

Regards,
    Phillip.
    thanx & cya too!
    Newbie in Aquatic Tank Setup....

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    If your feeling brave you can try to make a moss slurry. Mossacres.com has the instructions on how to do this: http://www.mossacres.com/acc_retention_gel.asp
    Evidently if you take your moss add some buttermilk (or beer), some water and water retention gel put it all in a blender you can spread it like jelly and it will grow. May be a way to bring your moss back to life.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    My mom will kill me if i am using her blender for the moss slurry.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    any updates on the mosses?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i think the moss slurry method is used for outdoor gardens. if u do it indoors or in a viv, the buttermilk will ferment and cause a stink similar to diy co2 solution, yuck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I've gotten some of the mosses from chatuchak in sept 08 and some of them are growing back and some are not, guess it all depends on luck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Scotland

moss

Moss slurry is not very effective in vivariums for the reasons already mentioned here, you would be as well to just blend the moss with distilled water and spread it in that form however there is a less pungent smelling method that uses clay but it's not often that somebody is keen to spread clay around their vivarium.
    Something that can also be useful is that powdered milk in very small quantities acts as a fertilizer for many mosses, just sprinkle it on in its dry form and be careful not to add too much.
    kind regards,
    Louis Last

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by louis_last View Post
    Moss slurry is not very effective in vivariums for the reasons already mentioned here, you would be as well to just blend the moss with distilled water and spread it in that form however there is a less pungent smelling method that uses clay but it's not often that somebody is keen to spread clay around their vivarium.
    Something that can also be useful is that powdered milk in very small quantities acts as a fertilizer for many mosses, just sprinkle it on in its dry form and be careful not to add too much.
    interesting theory, powdered milk in dry form? Please enlighten us as to why its a fertilizer for many mosses? I'm tempted to try in a small vivarium

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Baby milk formula have all the macro and micro nutrients + trace elements needed for plant growth less nitrogen.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi, interesting pics n discussions. am writing in so as to make sure i'm in the updates lists.... may want to try out one day..

thxs!

Cheers!!
    when theres any doubt, theres no doubt...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

Re: Mosses for new vivarium project.

Hi,
    what kind of substrate did you use?