Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thinking of starting on killies

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone, I'm thinking of starting on killies, and I need alot of advice before I start. I'm thinking of one of the colourful, hardier, non-annual species. I have Amphysemion australe in mind.

The tank I have available is a 1' tank. Is this big enough? I'm considering a pair or a trio. Should only have 1 male, right?

Should I use a peat substrate? Is it necessary? Can I use a gravel substrate, then lower pH using sea almond leaves or blackwater extract? Do Amphysemion spawn only in peat? Or do they spawn in mops or moss as well?

What kind of filtration should I use? I have a small hang-on-back filter. Is moderate water flow okay for killies? I don't think they can tolerate strong water flow.

What kind of decor should I use? I am thinking of just some driftwood and Anubias, as well as java moss. Is this okay?

Lastly, where can I get good, cheap killies? I've seen them recently at C328. Anywhere else? Does anyone breed them, and is willing to sell?

Please give plenty of advice and input. I hardly know anything about killies, though they are gorgeous fish.
    Thanks!

Matt

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Matt,

There is a killifish group in Singapore and they have a forum too. www.killies.com.

Stormhawk and RonWill will be able to dispense good advice to your queries.

As for myself, I've kept a few species, including the australe which spawned in my 5 ft planted tank. I think they are fairly easy to keep but they are jumpers too. So watch out.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny
    There is a killifish group in Singapore and they have a forum too. www.killies.com
    Benny, thanks for the site referral. This is a fine example of how forums can operate and co-exist.

Matt, I'm glad you realized that killifishes are broadly divided into 'annual' and 'non-annual' species. There's the misconception that all killies live a glorious colorful life, then die fast.

If you're not a newbie to fishkeeping then killies are no different and the Aphyosemion australe (commonly known as the Lyretail killie) is a great start. These can be trained to take commercially prepared foods and if you're not against feeding live foods, I can see some very happy killies!

The plants you listed will do and tank size can easily accomodate 2 pairs. Like all males, they will get into little fights. Nothing like bettas locking jaws but there might be some fin damage. For the male australe's finnage extensions to grow, I would suggest a trio, ie. 1 male, 2 females.

Normal substrate is adequate and a little ketapang won't hurt. Australes can adapt to a wide pH range and will spawn readily in both mops and moss but most prolific when the weather is cool. [in warmer, like now, you'd find alot of fungicized eggs]

For filtration, UGF, sponge or HOT (hang-on-tank) and overhead filters works fine. Australes will tolerate turbulence better than others, like Simpsonichthys and Nothobranchius species.

There are breeders over at killies.com but some are 'allergic' to the word 'cheap' ['affordable' sounds much nicer, don't you think so? ]

Before you do run out and buy some killies, get a cover! They can and will jump.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ronnie and Benny,

glad there is a good following of killies, they are indeed very beautiful fishes. I particularly like clown killies. The males ones have especially beautiful tails, though they have a high proportion of females in a single spawn.
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

what are you looking for?

Hi Enda,

let me know what you are looking for. I may have some to let go due to work schedule.
    I'm just a newbie with 2 strains. Nothing close to what the guys at killies.com can offer.

Pm me. Cheers