1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Is the one that is not eating on land too? If it is, thaw some frozen blood worms, pick up some with a small tweezer or pipette, wet it and let the water drop on the nostrils of the newt. If it is still interested in eating, the smell should rouse it to start looking for the worms. Let the worms touch it's snout and mouth. It should try to eat.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, now both of the newt are on land. I tried wetting some shrimps n place it on its snout n mouth a week ago. All it did was run away......

But amazingly, if it stop eating for 3 weeks, wouldnt it be dead by now? Maybe it is eating something. There's some small spider and ants running around my tank. Any idea whether the newt will eat them?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Franz
    Yes, now both of the newt are on land. I tried wetting some shrimps n place it on its snout n mouth a week ago. All it did was run away......

But amazingly, if it stop eating for 3 weeks, wouldnt it be dead by now? Maybe it is eating something. There's some small spider and ants running around my tank. Any idea whether the newt will eat them?
    Nope. Newts can last very long without food.

Try frozen blood worms. IME, that usually works. I don't normally see newts eating pellets or dried shrimp.

If it takes frozen blood worms, feed it on land manually a few times until it's recovered somewhat. Then dump the FBW in the water and place the newt in the water. It might go for the worms by itself once it can smell it in the water.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Fire bellied newt

Adopted a newt a few weeks ago. Thing is, he doesn't seem to be eating at all. I've been feeding him frozen bloodworms but I seriously haven't seen him so much as shit since he's gotten here. But it's been about 3 weeks so I'm wondering why he's still alive. Ideas? I don't need a heater do I? I read they're from japan so I'm pretty sure if temprature's the problem he's probably too warm over here...

Anyway, advice would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes newts prefers cooler temperature, if the tank gets too warm, it could be detrimental to them. How are they housed? make sure the tank is covered.

Try feeding some tubifex worms, they could go without food for more than ten days... so i won't worry too much. I had one that escaped for weeks, when i found him, he's quite skinny and in no time he's back in health again.

Btw there are 3 types that looks quite similar, the oriental fire belly, the japanese fire belly(which I haven't seen any in S'pore yet) and the paddle tails(which is quite large and the tail is quite broad). all of these are dark brown to black on the top and red-orange with black markings on the belly.

Vinz knows quite a bit on newts, you can check with him.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    How do you house the newt? Is it mixed with other fishes?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Someone called?

Chinese fire belly is the one in my avatar. Japanese fire bellies are not available anymore. The Jap govt. has banned capture and sale of JFBs. Paddletails... you can take a look in my website for pictures of them.

Temperature is a big issue for them. Are you filtering the tank? Water movement helps the water cooldown. Try to create a water fall or lots of surface movement, but the water current should not be too strong.

Make sure you have a rock or wood for the newt to climb on if it wants. Cover the tank to create a moist environment. Also helps to keep the water from evaporating away too quickly

Move the tank into a cooler part of your home. Some part of the house that heats up the least during the day. I think they require pretty clean water, so do set up some good filtration. Throwing in some plants will help too. Avoid frequent water changes (set up good filtration and top up the evaporated water as required). Also try to use aged water. The porous skin of amphibians don't take too kindly to chemicals. Nowadays it's hard to tell what the PUB does to our water to make it safe for human consumption.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If it's not eating, it could be stressed. So improving it's living conditions will help.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The newt man is arrived!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I adopted 2 cuties 1-2 months ago. 1 fella dislike water and always stays on land. I tried to move it to the water area and it will find its way out asap. Is this normal? The other one almost always stay in water... (Could they be of different species?) Somehow I am scared that the hydrophobic fella is not eating at all!

I had started to slowly flood the tank that they are in and the tubifex worm population starts to move into the pockets of land depression that is now water logged. Hopefully that will entice that fella to eat...

Also, heard they like black water... I added a piece of bogwood and the water is now brownish... Is it ok?

Pictures can be found on my blog...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm... that's gonna be a problem since I don't have any space left in my room for a new tank. I don't have a filter but the temperature of the water's about 23-25 degrees. Is that enough?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    23-25 is pretty good for singapore standards. But do get a filter in there, and some plants. Driftwood with lots of moss will be fine. You can get those small filters or powerheads from Eden brand.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks I'll let you know how things go... I'll have to juggle my fish around though =)

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    I have 2 firebellied newts in a river tank setup. Neither one of the newts ever go in the water. They like to climb up on the plants at night...it looks pretty silly...lol...

I feed them freeze dried tubifex worms and live black worms. I do this by soaking the tubifex and sticking it onto a chopstick and hold it right in front of the newts. They usually snap it right up, but not always. One of them is generally more inclined to eat more often than the other one, but both are very healthy looking. I also wind a good amount of live black worms on the tip of the chop stick and do the same thing.

I moved them both to a different terrerium setup once and they stopped eating. Since I put them back in the river tank they're both happily chowing down again.

I would make sure that the newts can get up out of the water if they want to....and that there is cover for them when they do come out.

Here's a good pic of the underbellies of these cuties...

This is the tank I keep them in...there is a female betta in the water section...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh my god! that's a beautiful setup
    I suddenly feel like i should offer my newt for adoption... he'd be so much happier in your tank... gah! I'm a horrible owner!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Lol XN...I'm sure it's not that bad...lol.....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ahem. Interesting. I have not seen my newt eat anything for 3++ months already. Amazingly, after disappearing in my vivarium for a few weeks, I saw them again a few days back.

One of them was reduced to 1/2 its original size Very sad, but it just doesnt wanna eat anything i give it. Any idea wat else I can feed it? Chicken?

The other one seem to be about the original size, but it's turning into brown...

Think most of the time, they hidding in some hole in the soil. Dunno what they have been eating or doing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    One of mine still refuses to enter into the water! It went straight into a wet area of my vivarium after I placed it inside. As I was afraid it might disappear or get trapped and die inside, I took it out into the open. Now it stays on the floating water lettuce all day long... Never swim, never eat! Placed worms and brine shrimps near its mouth also no use. Sometimes didn't even bother to run away... But the belly area seems fat when it is just 'sitting' around... Its been a month liao... The other 2 now practically lives IN the water... and LOVES worms and brine shrimps... Hmm...

Btw, have 1 more big one that loves to take guppies and bettas as food... Anyone interested in having it (should be a her...I think so) can let me know... Just take good care of it(her)...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Mine completely "disappeared". I can't find them for weeks sometimes. That's y i suspect they dig a hole n went in to hide :P

You sure they eat guppies? My molly just gave birth to about 14 fries. I will be very pissed if they eat a few of them :P

But they such clumsy and slow eater, u sure they can even catch a fish at all?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh you'll be surprised how fast some of the bigger ones can get! The big one (think 6" long and rather fat) ate 3 wild bettas and 1 male double sword guppy before it(she) was being removed... Oh, I tot it is a she cos literature reports that such big ones are usually females as males remain small... She was a terror... defending terrritory some more leh... Now she is residing in a cold water unfiltered tank with a Yamato shrimp... Poor thing, so looking for responsible owner for her...

The 2 smaller ones IN the water tries to ambush my baby guppies... But they were too afst for the newts... Only the brine shrimps are slower...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast