Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pictures for the Lim Chu Kang Excursion on 25 Jun 2005 (56K Warning)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Pictures for the Lim Chu Kang Excursion on 25 Jun 2005 (56K Warning)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

It started out as a great day, and we met up at the coffee shop as planned. Some of us arrived early and had something to eat before we start the day.

Our first stop was Teo's Plant Farm and they were having a planted tank being set up today. We arrived at ten and had the opportunity to roam freely.

We were there just as Green Chapter was starting and had the opportunity to see Jake and Roland in action....

We also had the opportunity to roam around the farm and look at various emersed and submersed cultivation. Teo's also had a few other planted tanks on display.

It was fun to be able to go into the areas that they were cultivating moss, ferns and anubias. Good thing nobody got caught in the man made rain storm.

There were fields and fields of Echinodorus amongst many other types of plants.

At eleven, we had to move on to Gan's before we left, the tank was almost done..

This is what the tank looks by the time we left. We will definitely be back to get an update of the tank.

More to come.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The weather started to turn foul as we were leaving Teo's. By the time we reach Gan's it was starting to pour. But that did not deter us.

This was the planted tank set up in Gan's Fish Farm. It's located at the showroom area where there were also accessories for sale. But most of us were more interested in the fish than anything else.

Sorry there wasn't too much pictures here as we were all too busy catching fishes and bagging them. The next picture is testomial, judging from the facial expressions that we see.

The folks at Gan's Fish Farm was also very hospitable and made us feel at home.

At the end of the hour, we had pencil fishes, corydoras, bristlenose plecos and tetras in various bags.

Next stop! Qian Hu Fish Farm!

(This is from my wife!)

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    By the time we were leaving Gan's, the weather cleared up and we headed towards Qian Hu.

Upon arrival, our first stop was the quarantine area. For plecofanatics, this would have been quite a sight.

Behold, this is a piece of LDA65, all the way from Peru. This fella is almost 2 ft long!

We also saw the albino adonis that was previously seen at Aquarama 2005. This piece is rumored to be in the region of S$5000 and above.

There was also a L25 in the quarantine area.

This is the indoor quarantine area and we were allow to peer into the tanks to see what's going to be exported and what's going into the local market in the near future.

As you can see, we have some very serious fish enthusiast here. No tank was left uninspected (at least not in the South American section). We saw some wild caught Apistogramma there.

(Another present from my wife sitting beside me)

Cheers,
    Last edited by benny; 27th Jun 2005 at 15:04.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There's a tank maintained by AquaticQuotient at Gan's?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Next, we proceed to the the retail area for the public....

This is the freshwater section. There's discus, lungfishes and all sorts of other oddites. Not forgetting plenty of arowanas.

This is one of the lung fish that we saw there. Looks really friendly and smiley but looks can be deceiving.

This is one of the local killifish that hwchoy was talking about earlier.. a very pregnant female specimen or this fella has a bad case of bloat.

This is the male specimen.

These fishes may not be ID correctly at the shop (no surprise right?). More discussion at http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...087#post123087

This must the find of the day. These gentle giants are filter feeders and used to go for about S$18 to S$25 each. It was for sale at only S$12. They are also known as Cameroon Armoured Shrimps and grows up to 4 inches.

(Another bouncing present from my wife...jeez!!!)

Cheers,
    Last edited by benny; 26th Jun 2005 at 12:49.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Here's something else that we saw at Qian Hu Fish Farm. It's tattooed fishes for a princely sum of S$20 each!!!

These fishes are hand tattooed and does not last long. Please do not buy these fishes if you see them. It is cruel and inhuman treatment to animals.

Before we depart, we visit the dry goods area to see the two planted tank at the entrance.

Ok folks. That's all the photos from me. There should be some more from Loupgarou and Learner later. Watch for them.

Hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I did and it was really nice to meet some faces behind the names we see on the forum.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    There's a tank maintained by AquaticQuotient at Gan's?
    No. The tank was set up by Aquatic Quotient a number of years back. It's maintained by Gan's these days. Transportation there is a killer and it was not possible for us to make weekly trips there.

Actually, it's the tank that's featured above.

Aquatic Quotient also set up one of Teo's planted tank in 2003 as well. It's the 9 footer.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Benny for taking the trouble of organising this trip
    for us to know each other better.
    (face to face is always better than words to words)

At Gan's initially having no tots of buying fishes, but after watching others happy buying fishes + the great singapore sale at Gan's make me tempted to buy.

From then onwards, I've started my path of no return - pleco addiction.
    Will be getting more bristlenose plecos...

Thanks to organisers and friends, hope we can have more trips to
    expore more of singapore's semi-rurals........

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yeh, all thanks to Benny for the organizing this trip.

Pardon me that I have to leave early today to attend a family gathering and didn't get an opportunity to bid farewell to some of you. It was great company and I've learnt quite a bit from the 'old birds' really. Thank you very much

Today was certainly an eye-opener for me, not only in terms of aquatic flora and fauna seen, but also knowing that amongst us are aspiring photographers, environmentalists, exotic fish lovers, treasure hunters.....

Looking forward to more opportunities of such nature.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Some pictures ...

At Teos:

Two 9 feet tanks size by size. A dream for many of us.

An inhabitant from the tank set up by AQ a couple of years ago (on the right).

Bubbling, again from tank on the right side.

Here, a close up of the leaves

Outside, in the 'misty hut', Benny pointing out his next purchase

Unid-ed flower

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Over at Qian Hu
    Some friendly inhabitants

ON SALE!!! TEMPTING!!!

That's all folks. Too bad it was raining too heavily at Gans. Didn't get any pictures there. Got some fishes instead

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm a bit lazy on the commentary...

here you are.

Teo's Farm
    http://uo.tdsuo.com/gallery/list.php...ublic&lang=eng

my favourite section. apongetons..

Qian Hu
    http://uo.tdsuo.com/gallery/list.php...ublic&lang=eng

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wah jja ! you shiok shiok the Titanic Panaque hah ! too bad my kiddos got swimming training if not ! I sure join in the fun !
    Safe Diving !
    Seeking for the Ultimate Diving Adventure !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by akoh
    Wah jja ! you shiok shiok the Titanic Panaque hah ! too bad my kiddos got swimming training if not ! I sure join in the fun !

dun worry bro, i understand u had ur stuff to do... but i shiok shiok with the Titanic Panaque is as close as i can get to bringing it home...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by jja
    dun worry bro, i understand u had ur stuff to do... but i shiok shiok with the Titanic Panaque is as close as i can get to bringing it home...
    Both didn't do well in the Branch National Meet . well ! have to train harder for the one million bucks ! .
    So when you coming over to PlecoHut to shiok shiok both my Titanics Panaque !
    Safe Diving !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by akoh
    Both didn't do well in the Branch National Meet . well ! have to train harder for the one million bucks ! .
    So when you coming over to PlecoHut to shiok shiok both my Titanics Panaque !

anytime i free will go over to sayang both ur darlings

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by jja
    anytime i free will go over to sayang both ur darlings
    Better bring gloves hor ! if not sure kenna cut one !
    Safe Diving !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Very interesting trip...

When is the next tour?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by underdog
    Very interesting trip...

When is the next tour?
    Not so soon. But there should be somthing for Lorong Harlus in July or August. Watch for it.

Learner, the arowana seems like a good deal! The bichir photos are good too, considering they are taken without support.

Chris, the last two pictures are nice! Mine came out blur.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi i'd like to find out the way to Gan's AND Qian Hu - anyone can provide me with directions? off a major expressway or road would be preferable - gotta get me some of those armoured shrimps - my wood shrimp would sure appreciate backup!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast