Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Jebo External Canister Filter

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just bought the above and started to use since laste Friday. Before using I actually rinse it with running water to clear any dust or dirt. But however since laste Friday till now the water it has been very cloudy. Please advise anything wrong? And how long will the cloudy water goes away?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Regards

How silly me I forgot about bacterial. Will introduce some good bacterial and believe will solve the problem. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The filter will need time to mature. Once it does, the water will be clear again. If you must have clear water in the interim, use a UV light, connected at the output end of the filter.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Regards

Thanks. Will introduce some bacterial first before trying alternative. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevino
    Thanks. Will introduce some bacterial first before trying alternative. Thanks.
    May I know how to introduce bacterial into the filter? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Regards

All bio-bacteria can be bought from lfs.

For external canister filter which has yet to be introduced to the tank, I've put both inlet and outlet water flow into a pail of water and dose it with bio-bacteria into this pail of water and let it cycle for a day or two. This will be good enough for a rapid good bacteria to be formed in the canister.

As for this new setup 3ft tank, I'll just dose the recommended amount of bio-bactria solution directly into the tank and let the good bacteria formed by itself. This will take longer where the volume of 3ft tank against a pail of water.

Above are my experience of introducing bacteria. Please comment from any brothers here if you have a better way.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's your basic nitrogen cycle. Basically getting some sort of waste in there will help, for example dirt from another matured filter, or even the gravel.

Once some waste gets into the tank, bacteria will start to grow. To speed things up, there are commercial bacteria additives out in the market.

Some put in feeder fish to help produce waste and cycle the tank faster too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    It's your basic nitrogen cycle. Basically getting some sort of waste in there will help, for example dirt from another matured filter, or even the gravel.

Once some waste gets into the tank, bacteria will start to grow. To speed things up, there are commercial bacteria additives out in the market.

Some put in feeder fish to help produce waste and cycle the tank faster too.
    Thanks Kevino and Terence.
    Since there are good and bad bacteria, is there any test kit to check?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Regards

Nothing that I know of.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    As long as you allow set up your filter media correctly, allow it to mature and clean the filter media properly and regularly (every 3 to 6 months, or when filter flow is obviously reduced), you can assume that the filter has good bacteria.

Oh yes... there is one test kit... your nose. If you open the filter and it stinks like stagnant drain water, you can be pretty sure its full of bad bacteria. However, no smell does not mean there isn't any.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    that happened to me recently...do a black out for 2-3 days...thereafter, problem solved.