Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

TIger shrimp - all dead within 3 days

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Bought a pack of 6-8 tiger shrimp from C328.
    They were doing fine for the 1 day.

However all dead within 3 days while my Malayan shrimp are growing in size (saw many empty shells around)

Chiller - 28 degree
    Tank - 2.5 ft

Anyone can provide any advise ?

Thks in advance

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi tony,

I'm moving this to the freshwater section, since it has no relevance to planted tank setups

Tiger shrimps ( If I'm not wrong ) are much more sensitive than Malayan, many have difficulty keeping them alive. Perhaps you need to assess your water parameters and acclimatise them over a longer period of time.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm... How did you introduce the new shrimps to the tank? What are your pH readings? What other inhabitants are there in your tank?

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    After floating it in the tank for 1 hr, add the tank water to the bag and let them swim out or pour out.
    20+ malaylan shrimp, 8 red molly. 3 not sure what sucker fish looks like stingray very small but have double wing(much like figure of eight with a tail).

PH - hur what's that ? sorry didn't know how to measure.
    Last edited by tonyhow; 27th Jun 2005 at 19:50.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dunno what is pH...no wonder die...

p(otential of) H(ydrogen); measure if the water is acidic or alkaline...

soft drinks = acidic...low pH. (soft water)
    sea water = alkaline ...high ph. (hard water)

water = about pH 7 (neutral...not acidic or alkaline)

pH in your aquarium is affected by your fish waste, your stones, your wood, your CO2 amount.

Shrimps are sensitive to pH swings....Tiger shrimps more so than malayans.

Certain shrimps also are better at certain PH than others...eg. Bees prefer soft water (~6.5), tigers I believe need a little higher (~7?)

The pH swing comes from the pH of the water in your original packing and when you moved the shrimps to your aquarium water..the PH may not be the same. You need to do it slowly over a period of time.

If you have a planted tank...pH varies quite alot over the day, as the plants absorbs co2 and releases them in the night. so, keeping shrimps in a heavily planted tank is quite tough...unless there already is a good balance..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Its probably the difference in salt content (TDS) between the LFS water and your tank water that did the shrimps in. pH shifts from CO2 changes does not have any relative impact on critter health unlike that from salts like baking soda and etc which can kill them if added suddenly in large amounts.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the feedback.

Actually, this is my second batch of tiger shrimp, first lot has gone home within few days too, I though maybe it was due to my new tank syndrome.

Looks like must do some readup on PH.

Been having fresh water fishes for the past 10 years, only 1 or 2 cases (Discus) where all gone 'home'. Maybe it is PH which I did not bother to find out.
    Cos most of the time, I do not change water for few years except top up water as they are crystal clear - underwater filter with top filter box planted with pandan plants. - which grew really big and well - fish waste is rich nutrient - I guess.

My second tank has evolved from plant to goldfish as you guessed it, the goldfish ate up most of the plants except for a few hardy one. I was not very successful with the more sensitive plants as I didn't know the cooler temperature is important for the plants then. Similarly, I change water about every 6 month with an internal filter box only.

This is my third tank, just get excited as I found this sites with loads of info and all the AQers providing useful information/help.
    New stuff trying - Chiller, external canister filter, moss, shrimp.

However, as I am going oversea to work for couple of weeks, I need to put the tank in min maintenance mode so my daughter can just feed the fishes, switch on/off the light - but not on/off the CO2 (I am afraid she may forget to switch off & have safety issue - always felt the solenoid is so hot that it might catch fire or something)

Keeping my finger cross that most of the plants, shrimps will survived w/o CO2 for 4-6 weeks.

Any suggestion/comment is welcome.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyhow
    Actually, this is my second batch of tiger shrimp, first lot has gone home within few days too, I though maybe it was due to my new tank syndrome.

Looks like must do some readup on PH.
    Hmmm... Did you mention it is a new tank? Why don't you try cycling the tank for a month or two first?

However, as I am going oversea to work for couple of weeks, I need to put the tank in min maintenance mode so my daughter can just feed the fishes, switch on/off the light - but not on/off the CO2 (I am afraid she may forget to switch off & have safety issue - always felt the solenoid is so hot that it might catch fire or something)
    Go grab afew timer switches from Carrefour or any hardware shop. It helps you a lot.

Keeping my finger cross that most of the plants, shrimps will survived w/o CO2 for 4-6 weeks.

Any suggestion/comment is welcome.
    Your plants might not make it, but if you are having high lights in your tank, probably algaes will. You might want to reduce you lights if this is your last move you need to make.
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Goondoo,

Yes it is new, guess I can try again after 1 month to see if it helps.

Hopefully, the tank can survive on its own for so long.

cheers