Images
    Country
    Singapore

My rocks bubble in vinegar

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I did the vinegar test on my rocks recently and they bubbled violently. Did a pH test on the water they had been in and it registered about 8.0-8.5 on the scale. Does this mean I have to get rid of my rocks? I spent a fortune on them! I have yet to add flora and fauna into the tank. Please advise what I can add to stabilise the water apart from those manufactured water conditioners.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You do not need to get rid of your rocks, but they will raise your pH and kH in the tank.

One option is to counter this by using pH and kH reduction materials or chemicals. Plants are allright in hardwater, but fish will be a problem.

Another option is to scrap the rocks completely, use them for a cichlid tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by duckweed
    I did the vinegar test on my rocks recently and they bubbled violently. Did a pH test on the water they had been in and it registered about 8.0-8.5 on the scale. Does this mean I have to get rid of my rocks? I spent a fortune on them! I have yet to add flora and fauna into the tank. Please advise what I can add to stabilise the water apart from those manufactured water conditioners.
    Monitor the KH and see whether the KH stabilises. Sometimes if you are injecting CO2, you might end up with very high KH.

pH 8.0-8.5 without CO2 injection is not too bad.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wah this type of rock is perfect for cichlid tank... Anyway these type of rocks can use it together with those anubias n crypt tank.
    Earth can satisfy our needs but she can't satisfy our greed, live light on this planet coz if we lose it, there ain't no others

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by curahee
    Wah this type of rock is perfect for cichlid tank... Anyway these type of rocks can use it together with those anubias n crypt tank.
    A man's junk may be another man's gold.
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bclee
    Monitor the KH and see whether the KH stabilises. Sometimes if you are injecting CO2, you might end up with very high KH.

pH 8.0-8.5 without CO2 injection is not too bad.

BC
    I intend to inject CO2 to reduce pH, is that advisable?
    If KH indeed rises, what can I do to rectify?
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    injecting co2 will only make your ph drop .3 to .4 points only (never measure scientifically..but from what I can see in my tank)....beyond that, I think all your fishes will die. Best to get rid of the rock (sell it to carehee ) if you are not keeping cichlids

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketshrimp
    injecting co2 will only make your ph drop .3 to .4 points only (never measure scientifically..but from what I can see in my tank)....beyond that, I think all your fishes will die. Best to get rid of the rock (sell it to carehee ) if you are not keeping cichlids
    To inject CO2 into water from ambient level to 30ppm will drop the pH by 1.5 to 1.7.

The rocks might not be too bad. Just try and see at which point the KH stabilises.

I mention about injection of CO2 is because the KH will stop to rise once the pH reaches about 8.5. If you are injecting CO2, you will cause more rise in KH.

Do not be over concern about that. I have run my tank with KH 10+ before.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bclee
    To inject CO2 into water from ambient level to 30ppm will drop the pH by 1.5 to 1.7.

The rocks might not be too bad. Just try and see at which point the KH stabilises.

I mention about injection of CO2 is because the KH will stop to rise once the pH reaches about 8.5. If you are injecting CO2, you will cause more rise in KH.

Do not be over concern about that. I have run my tank with KH 10+ before.

BC
    Thanks BC, pardon my ignorance but what it ppm? I have read it in many of the posts but just couldn't seem to find an article that explains what it is.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by duckweed
    Thanks BC, pardon my ignorance but what it ppm? I have read it in many of the posts but just couldn't seem to find an article that explains what it is.
    ppm = parts per million

1ppm = 0.0001%

It is refering to concentrations and, in this case, concentration of CO2 in water.

BC