Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Badis badis or Dario dario

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just got some above-mentioned fish, not sure what the scientific name is but it's kinda smallish and reddish green fish.

They don't seem to eat fish flakes. I know they are very hungry but they are particularly fussy about food. I saw them mouthed the flakes but spit it out almost immediately.

I've read that they eat snails. Do they? I have some species of snails in my tank and I think they reproduce every now and then because they never seem to die out. Will my badis badis eat the baby snails if any? Also, it seems that my tank is very lacking in micro-organisms. I've scrutinised closely and found some mini-slugs. Can they eat it also?

I'm worried that the badis badis have not much food source available. However, I do not wish to buy live tubiflex worm to feed. Are there any DIY methods of creating live micro-organisms feed? I've heard of decomposing lettuce or cabbage in water to grow micro-organisms. Can meh?

Advice greatly appreciated!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    properly called Dario dario.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How about trying to feed them with baby brine shrimps. That should be small enough for them.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have some brine shrimp eggs from 10 years ago. Don't know whether still can or not. But brine shrimp I think very salty leh, wait my fish kena high blood pressure

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Er...you are suppose to take the brine shrimps out of the water and feed them to the fishes. You can't just pour the whole bag in.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wong, you have to rinse the newly hatched bbs BEFORE you feed them to the fish. And no, fishes don't get high blood pressure. You might get high blood pressure though, if your Dario decide to die if they don't get enough food.

They require live foods like worms, daphnia and tiny animals like Cyclops or newly hatched BBS. Most do not adapt to flake foods. If you do not intend to feed them with tubifex, then try live daphnia and bbs. I believe some shops sell packets of both food animals.

Some of the Dario may try eating frozen bloodworms. You can try that option too, but the smaller juveniles will not be able to swallow an entire bloodworm. If they're of adult size then the standard bloodworm would not be a problem.

They certainly do not eat those "mini slugs" you mentioned. And if I was you, I'll remove those "mini-slugs". Those are probably Planaria (flatworms) and you would be much advised to remove them ASAP since they're egg eaters and very voracious scavengers.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Anything live that has to be bought from a fish shop is a no no. I'm too lazy to go and buy just to feed them Besides, I don't feel so safe with their bloodworms or anything, even if sterilized.

This is what I'm going to do. Get some adult snails out and give them lots of lettuce to eat. Let them pro-create and harvest their eggs. Dump them in and wait for the babies to hatch.

Alternatively, gather many tau-hway tubs with fish-tank water and let the mosquitoes breed. I hope NEA doesn't find out about this

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    2nd Alternative ruled out after strong protest from the public Will try the snails instead

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by wong1979
    Anything live that has to be bought from a fish shop is a no no. I'm too lazy to go and buy just to feed them
    Wong,
    In that case, may I humbly suggest that you give the 'Scarlet badis' to another hobbyist who's able to provide the proper diet. No point breeding snails as it isn't the most appropriate or nutritious food source. Worse, when you're over-runned with a snail population boom... then what?

Even if you're into culturing live foods, infusoria is way too small and more apt for new free-swimming dario fry. Vinegar eels and microworms might fill the tummy somewhat but it's too much work. A better choice would be grindal worms but any fish-lover will still tell you to provide a varied diet (that includes tubifex, daphnia and BBS).

For grindal and Daphnia magna/pulex starters, a google search will return more than sufficient information. Good luck.

IMHO, the fear feeding live foods and the alleged introduction of pantogen and diseases is over-rated. Tubifex, when bought 'fresh' and well cleaned/purged, is a top rate food source.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I must professed that I'm not really into fish. I'm into planted tanks which I need to maintain a balanced and controlled enviroment to simulate the best natural setting for my plants and fish.

Adding tubiflex worms or any live worm feeds might intoduce unknown parameters into my tank which I'll have difficulty pinpointing if anything goes wrong.

But anyway, I heeded your advice and reluctantly bought a small packet of tubiflex worm. After washing thoroughly, I put them into a tray with my fish tank water. As the worms was fed, all fish (even SAE) and shrimps (yamato and cherry) began to feast on them. I hope they won'y aqquire a unique taste for live feed

Incidentally, after feeding, my badis badis are all into attack mode. I see them pairing up and fighting each other out instead of the usual scavenging for food. I certainly hope they won't end up with fatal injuries.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I must professed that I'm not really into fish. I'm into planted tanks which I need to maintain a balanced and controlled enviroment to simulate the best natural setting for my plants and fish
    Wong,
    I used to maintain full-fledged planted tanks; MH lights, COČ and PMDD fertilization, rich substrate beds and all that was 'trendy'. In other words, an aquatic gardener but in that time, I realized that there was nothing 'natural' as far as diet was concerned.

Sure. Things looked great and 'controlled' but the fishes looked pathetic. I admit I'm more a fish-person and now, all my tanks are geared for low-maintenance, with a full compliment of scavengers and I feed alot.

'Unknown parameters' occur concurrently with overfeeding. When uneaten food are left to decompose and bacteria count rises. Weak fishes, stressed by aggressive tankmates, can succumb to bacterial infection as well.

Overfed fishes produces more waste than the plants can handle, giving algae a chance to proliferate. Is this the 'lost of control' that you dread? If so, feed sparingly and use a worm feeder (diy a suspended 'worm platform' from sponge and wire, if the worm cones look unacceptable)

But anyway, I heeded your advice and reluctantly bought a small packet of tubiflex worm. After washing thoroughly, I put them into a tray with my fish tank water
    If you upsize that holding tray and aerate moderately, those tubifex will require minimal rinsing and last about a week. Best way to kill tubifex, IME, is to use tap water in holding tray/container.

As you have observed, your tank's inhabitant are mostly omnivorous, ie. eating both animal and vegetable foods. I'm sure they appreciate the change in menu from flakes, pellets and tabs but at the dining table, SAE will out-compete the darios. If you're concerned about tubifex dropping onto the substrate, pygmy corydoras fit that slot nicely.

Incidentally, after feeding, my badis badis are all into attack mode. I see them pairing up and fighting each other out instead of the usual scavenging for food
    Rich foods make great conditioning foods. With hunger out of their minds, sex comes naturally... wouldn't you?
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Aggression in the badis is nothing to be afraid of. Yes they're in attack mode now but very seldom do they kill each other, especially since they're Dario dario.

I have 5 pairs of my own in a small 1.5ft tank and they are doing very happily in there. Not much of aggression except for the sudden fights between the males for territory.

If you're afraid of feeding tubifex worms, here's another suggestion. Get a small ceramic dish, place it above the substrate level. Using a turkey baster or pipette with a small air tubing attachment, squirt the worms into that ceramic dish. That way the worms won't escape into the substrate. Nowadays I don't bother with planted tank parameters. If the plant lives, it lives. If it doesn't then I just go and buy a replacement.

The health of my fishes are more important than the plants. However different people have different ideas. If the plants are more important to you then its best to just stick with fish that readily feed on dried foods. For example, tetras.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I just wanna say thanks for the 'scolding'. Now my fish are shoaling

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That's good. The Dario seldom shoal though however the younger ones will usually stick together. In the shops the females seldom appear. Mostly what we get are just the juvenile males.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It will be quite a sight if darios shoal But I forgot to mention...it's actually my mosquito rasbora Even the lone pygmy rasbora thinks he's one of them