Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Chiller recommendation

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'm looking for a chiller to cool down my 3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft tank. Any brand and price recommendation. Looking for cheap and good type.

Regards,
    Kevin Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Kevin,

If budget is a problem, Resun offers one of the most economical solution around, followed by Hailea.

If budget is not a problem, JBJ's Artica or it's Korea equivalent is one of the more popular model. Teco from Italy is also one of the more expensive brands around and has been establised for quite a while.

As for power, make sure you get one that can support your tank. I would guess that a 1/4 HP model would be the minimum needed. Also, ensure your flow rate for the chiller is correct and that you have a good prefilter for the chiller. Otherwise, maintenance will be a REAL killer.

All the above brands have their own website. A quick search on google will get you there. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Regard

Thank you for the information. Any idea what is the price for 1/4HP of different brand like?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Kevin,

Not too sure as I'm using a Teco RA240. But I do know that you can get a Resun for just a few hundred (less than S$500). JBJ, the Korean brand and Teco are all more than S$1000.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Regards

Thank you for your information.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    for 3 x 1.5 x 1.5 a 1/10 HP artica(JBJ) or daeil(korean) is enough. a 1/4 is a overkill. i used to use a 1/4 on a 2 x 2 x 2. finds it a overkill. now using only a jbj 1/10 on the same tank. sound level is much lesser also

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Regards

How much is it for a 1/10 chiller?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hello Kevin,

Don’t go for a 1/10, it might do the job, but at some point in time you will want to upgrade [lights, tank size etc] and you will not have an upgrade path. Consider a 1/5 hp as a minimum.

I have a 1/5 hp +MH's, on a 4foot tank, temp 26.6, it copes, but if I wanted to lower the temp to 24, I doubt it would handle it with the combination of lighting that I have.

Rupert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    it also depends on your lighting. forget to mention that. i'm using 4 t5 tubes only. a 1/10 will cost 1200 a 1/5 will cost much much more. close to 2k