Country
    Singapore

Unusually high KH

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi folks,

I have unusually high KH in my 5 x 1.5 ft planted tank and I am hoping someone here can help explain why this is the case.

What I added into the tank.
    1. Lapis sand approx 2.5 bags (didn't mix with anything else)
    2. JBL base fert
    3. 1 piece bog wood approx 1.5 kg
    4. JBL ferropol
    5. tap water + plants + fish
    6. chlorine and chloramine remover (can't remember the brand, has a AP logo on it but pretty sure it's not Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, will update the brand when i get home)

My filter medium
    1. Normal green color filter wool (2 basket)
    2. Ceramic rings (1 basket)

I am currently Running 200W lights with co2 at 5 bubbles per second (but that's not the point)

Here's the story,

1 week ago, I measured the KH of the tank using Aquarium Pharmaceuticals KH test kit and it read 7. I did a 50% water change.

Yesterday, I measured the KH it measured 7 again.

The KH of my tap water direct from the tap is 1.

Thinking that it's the ceramic rings, I took a handful of the left over ceramic rings and put them in approx 1 litre of water and left them for 1 week, KH measures at 1. I then added some of the unknown brand chlorine and chloramine remover and measured the KH, still 1.

No sodium bicarbonate was ever added to the tank since I set it up.

The tank is a used tank, previos occupant was a pearl arowana.

I would be glad to hear any theories from people here.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    May I know where do you stay? In some areas, the water is known to be problematic.

Also, how old is the kH test kit? Do you have any other test kits on hand?

Cheers,
    Last edited by benny; 30th Jun 2005 at 15:31.
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I stay at old airport road. But like I mentioned, I measured the KH of my tap water, on more than 1 occassion too, KH was always either 0 or 1.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The only possible culprit is the lapis sand but then again a KH of 7 is fine for both plants and critters. Good stable CO2 during the photoperiod, plenty of nutrients, the plants and critters do mighty well.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    KH 7 should not be a concern to your plants and fishes.

Is it a new setup? Do you inject CO2? What is the pH?

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bclee
    KH 7 should not be a concern to your plants and fishes.

Is it a new setup? Do you inject CO2? What is the pH?

BC
    Hi,

Yes it's a new setup, more than 2 months old already. PH measures at 7 (I didn't confuse between the KH and PH in case anyone is wondering). Yes I am injecting co2, 5 bubbles per second, for 10 hours per day.

I don't know how you guys measure the level of co2 in your tank, but I just use the KH vs PH table, true, high KH is not a concern for plants and fishes, but, it would mean I have to inject more co2 due to the high level of buffering isn't? Which means I have to refill my tank more often.

I never thought lapis sand would affect the KH, hmm... could be hor? Ok I will perform some experiment on it and update you guys!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bossteck
    Hi,

Yes it's a new setup, more than 2 months old already. PH measures at 7 (I didn't confuse between the KH and PH in case anyone is wondering). Yes I am injecting co2, 5 bubbles per second, for 10 hours per day.

I don't know how you guys measure the level of co2 in your tank, but I just use the KH vs PH table, true, high KH is not a concern for plants and fishes, but, it would mean I have to inject more co2 due to the high level of buffering isn't? Which means I have to refill my tank more often.

I never thought lapis sand would affect the KH, hmm... could be hor? Ok I will perform some experiment on it and update you guys!
    No, higher KH does not mean that you need to inject more CO2 to get the pH down. It only means that the end pH is higher.

My suspicion is on the sand also. When you experiment, you may not get as high KH (maybe KH3-4 if it really contain carbonate). This is because you do not inject CO2 to bring down the pH. Carbonate will stop dissolve at ~pH 8.5.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bclee
    No, higher KH does not mean that you need to inject more CO2 to get the pH down. It only means that the end pH is higher.

My suspicion is on the sand also. When you experiment, you may not get as high KH (maybe KH3-4 if it really contain carbonate). This is because you do not inject CO2 to bring down the pH. Carbonate will stop dissolve at ~pH 8.5.

BC
    Hi,

I recently got a co2 indicator, those which comes with a small container, you're suppose to drop some indicator fluid into it and stick it inside your tank. It too tells me that I have insufficient co2 in my tank. Does such indicator work as sort of a combined ph + kh tester? Meaning to say, will the reading be affected by the high KH in my tank? Or does it _really_ measure the co2 level in my tank and not the ph+kh.

If even the co2 indicator works based on the KH PH relationship and that according to you, there's no need to inject more co2 to bring down the PH, then how can I tell if there's really sufficient co2 in the tank?

I can of course, _try to_ judge by looking at the growth of the plants but other factors would come into play as well right?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bossteck
    Hi,

I recently got a co2 indicator, those which comes with a small container, you're suppose to drop some indicator fluid into it and stick it inside your tank. It too tells me that I have insufficient co2 in my tank. Does such indicator work as sort of a combined ph + kh tester? Meaning to say, will the reading be affected by the high KH in my tank? Or does it _really_ measure the co2 level in my tank and not the ph+kh.

If even the co2 indicator works based on the KH PH relationship and that according to you, there's no need to inject more co2 to bring down the PH, then how can I tell if there's really sufficient co2 in the tank?

I can of course, _try to_ judge by looking at the growth of the plants but other factors would come into play as well right?
    What brand of CO2 indicator are you using? I only find good brands indicator to be reliable (e.g. Sera, ADA, Eheim)

Anyway, by the KH/pH reading, your CO2 level is almost there. pH 6.8 will be ideal. With such a large tank you have, 5bps is not too surprising. Some may inject more CO2 than that.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

I using Sera one. Oh so 5 or more bubble per second is normal? Thanks.
    Well, since high KH is not a problem, and 5 bps is normal, then i guess I can take my own sweet time to find out why the KH of my tank is so high.

I will update your folks in due time.

Thanks for all the replies.