Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Are otos solitary animals or do they need to be put in a group?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Are otos solitary animals or do they need to be put in a group?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Have a one-foot planted-cum-shrimp tank, i'm thinking of introducing otos to help clean up the algae that sticks onto the glass. Can i just get one otos for my tank, or must i get at least a pair? also, wat is the maximum size they can grow to?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Solitary. Based on your preference, any amount. 3 would be nice for a 1 footer. Can grow to half the length of your index finger. Considered one of the smallest algae eaters around.

As for green spot algae on glass, best to scrap it off with a phone card or credit card

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Somehow my experience tells me that they can be both... My group of 4 often swim and rest together... One move, all move. One stop, all stop. They will fight (usually to death) if the tank is small, though... Maybe they are agressive but when the tank gets bigger, they became sociable...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I would say that they are social creatures more than solitary creatures. Love to see them swimming in a group. But those that I put individually in a small tank are fine too.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually group would be better... one of my otos used to be pale when his/her (still couldn't figure out the sex ) companion died... but when I introduced another few to it... the colour came back again...

That's from my experience la... maybe the experts can give you a better advise...

By the way some links for you:
    http://www.petfish.net/otos_indepth.htm
    http://www.otocinclus.com/
    Cheers,
    Joe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Can otos help to remove spot algae? Coz I have spot algae growing in places hard to reach without damaging or accidentally uprooting the plants. Thats why would like to introduce some natural cleaners to my tank.. Although I would like to get a grp of otos, my tank length is only 30 cm and space is limited, dun want to cram the poor animals...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The main diet for Otocinclus is brown algae. They can clean the tank of this algae very quickly. Spot algae is a lot tougher and twig catfishes are more efficient for that.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Otos are happier in a shoal, or when they've companions from the same species. But when you've more Otos than algae, do make sure that all of them have enough food to eat.
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by coryfav
    Otos are happier in a shoal, or when they've companions from the same species. But when you've more Otos than algae, do make sure that all of them have enough food to eat.
    Yes, do feed them food as they clear out the brown algae pretty fast. Algae wafer or blanched vegetables are fine. My otos prefer the veggies... although it seems the shrimps are enjoying them too! Just remember to remove the veggies before it rots tho...
    Cheers,
    Joe