Thread: Marine Aquarium reference book

Feedback Score

Marine Aquarium reference book

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, is me again.

Can someone kindly state down the some good marine book title that i can purchase locally or in the internet ?

Please let me have the address or internet website for this issue.

Millions Thanks

Ivan

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    go to kino at taka... they have lots of them..got all my books from there.

the marine aquarium by nick dakin..
    the new saltwater aquarium handbook by blasiola... barrons publisher.
    if possible.. get the complete idiot's guide to saltwater aquarium.. very informative.. i have all the 3 books...
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Hmm.... so you r the one that buy all the marine books from there and left nothing for us....

Kidding []

Thanks
    Ivan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i merely got myself the one of the last few copies of the idiot guide to saltwater aquarium keeping.. [] and those books i got them couple of years back..

not sure whether do they still have the idiot guide book.. if not, can ask them to bring in for u...

IMO.. go for the Nick Dakin book.. it is very informative on basic.. but not much info on fishes and corals.. for that.. u need to get the encyclopedia.. which ICE has.. i saw it in his room.. a whopping $70-90...

alternatively, u can try Borders.. but i find some books are cheaper in borders than Kino.. and vice versa..

happy shopping[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

I'm actually looking for the encyclopedia of marine inverts... has anione seen that b4???

Feedback Score
    Yup, I saw it in Taka (kino) just 2 weeks ago. []

But couldn't find my marine aquarium set up reference over there.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ice.. i seen it in Taka couple of months back.. approx $90+

But couldn't find my marine aquarium set up reference over there huh? what marine aquarium set up reference.. if u mean steps to setting up marine aquarium.. then u have get any books on marine aquarium.. they will tell u.. unless of course.. u buy a book on fishes..[]

Do yourself a favour.. save those $$ on LR and livestock for the next few weeks and let the tank stabilise.. those $$$ saved.. use them to get the book.. and read up on the maturing the tank process.. u find that u will save lots after reading it.. i bought the book first b4 setting up the tank.. and let time do the job.. with the book, u will know basically almost everything u need.. of course, what u read here.. may sometimes differ from what the books had mentioned.. this is due to preference and experiences learnt over the years.. some of them work in this tank.. some dun.. aquarium keeping is a art.. not a science... there is no right or wrong method.. as long as the method works (i mean, keeping the livestock viable and alive), it is a good method.. sometimes, u have to experiment yourself..
    like instead of DI/RO water.. i used tap water.. never changed water for almost a year..[:0] trying out with different kind of feed... etc.. this lighting system or that lighting system.. etc.. u learn alot lor.. alternatively, u can cut short your learning curve by asking ard for help.. at the end of the day... the tank is yours to try out.. []
    Happy marine keeping...[]

Speaking of feed... I recommends TetraMarin Flake Food! Fishes love it! ALL fishes... even my Anthias eats it... =)

Feedback Score
    Best book for beginners IMO will be Natural Reef Aquariums by John Tullock.
    Explains all the relatively new set ups, etc. I bought it over the net from mphonline.com for about $35 one year ago.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i feed my fishes with beefheart, tetra bits, bloodworms, mysis shrimps, lettuce, xiao bai cai, brine shrimps.. []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    btw, is it true that for marine tanks, once you have matured the tank and the ecosystem is stable, there isn't a need to change water again?

If this is true, than it is really less maintenance to do as compared to freshwater tank who required to at least 25% water change every week.

Somemore, I think with a higher contents of salt, it tends to surpress fish diease as compared to freshwater fish which are more prone to diease whenever there are changes in temperature or water parameters.

Well, this is what I think. Correct me if I am wrong.
    Somehow, after I had seen a marine tank.. now my hands are really itchy...[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    btw, is it true that for marine tanks, once you have matured the tank and the ecosystem is stable, there isn't a need to change water again?
    not entirely true... u need to change water too..(something that i guilty of not doing)...u need to bring down the nitrate level so as to maintain the top quality water parameters...

Somemore, I think with a higher contents of salt, it tends to surpress fish diease as compared to freshwater fish which are more prone to diease whenever there are changes in temperature or water parameters. marine do have it fair share of problems.. except that some fishes are more tolerant and can be disease free when their environment is good... marine version of white spots is very tedious to treat.. coz u need to use copper (alternatively, used garlic juiced food!!!.. it worked!!) and copper kills the corals..

[]

Feedback Score
    Kel is right !!! The garlic food juice mixture for the fish to eat is excellent. I used to feed my crown with this and it stay very strong and healthy. But later the crown die because I upgrade my 1 ft tank to a 2 ft tank without proper handling i.e. I set up all my 2 ft tank just in ONE day. Subsequently, the story you guys know about it as I have mentioned in the forum.[]