Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Canon EOS 350D

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Earlier than planned, I've bought my camera from MS color. But I still haven't got my CF card yet. Might take a couple of days more before I get it at harbor front. Does the camera have in-built memory to store the pictures? I can't wait to test her out

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    hey..congrats!! care to pm me the price you got it for?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Congratulations on your new acquisition! I'm sure you will have loads of fun with it.

There are plenty of users here on the same system to help you along.

And get the card quick!! We want to see some pictures!!

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    no built in ram, you must get a cf card.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Need advice on 350d

Hi SLR pros!
    I just started snapping at my tank but all my pix turn out not to be the exact color of my tank. Especially on the foreground. The empty lapis sand space and on some of the leaves turn out too white. How do I overcome this?

I'm using the normal 36 watts PL lights.

Also, I can't seem to figure out how to view the object on the LCD screen. I find it uncomfortable to always use the viewfinder to take pictures. How to enable it like a P & S camera?

Sample:

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    you cannot.

a) because of the use of the Through the Lens technology and the penta mirror/prism, cannot use the LCD as viewfinder. you can buy the zigview though.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=137359
    http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread...7&page=1&pp=20

the 20Da can use the LCD as a viewfinder, but that's probably because the mirror/pentaprism is the pellicle sort (probably). (20Da is for astrophotography, if using normally, too much red will be seen. special order from canon.)

b) your white balance needs to be tweaked, that's all. if you shoot in raw, you can play with white balance more. adjust it until you like it. you can also try photoshop "auto color or auto level".
    get a photoshop book which teaches how to adjust white balance.

c) you can also use a white card to determine what color is "WHITE"

d) and tip: for most lenses, shooting at f/8 - f/11 gives you the maximum sharpness.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    The pics you posted...Here's a few tricks u may want to try! Try not to go too high on the ISO. Stay around 100-400 range...

And for tank pics, please use a tripod! 90 degree to the tank..and take the pics at night to prevent stray light hitting the tank, etc.

If you are into fishtography, a ST-E2 is a must for you....and along with that you need a good external flash...

Let me know if you need help. I am using 350D too.
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for your prompt replies. Can you tell me what are the necessary equipments for tank photography (decent ones). I supposed a tripod is a definite must as a minute hand shake can blur images. Also, ST-E2, some kind of external flash?

Roughly, could you advise me on the cost of the necessary equipments? Thks!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by wong1979
    Thanks for your prompt replies. Can you tell me what are the necessary equipments for tank photography (decent ones). I supposed a tripod is a definite must as a minute hand shake can blur images. Also, ST-E2, some kind of external flash?

Roughly, could you advise me on the cost of the necessary equipments? Thks!

Really depends on the depth of your pocket..

A ST-E2 is a wireless trigger for wireless flash trigger. Many of us here swear by it. Should be around 2xx.

A Flash - Essential.. Either canon orginal such as 420ex, 550ex or 580ex or you can get thrid party. Ranges from 3xx to 7xx

A tripod- Essential too

A macro lens...
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    Dale Carnegie

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/index.html

--
    you can use the macro lens to take tank shots as well, but only if you have enough space in front of the tank.
    --

new canon slr site for beginners.. I haven't read it yet either.. (its NEW)
    http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/index.html

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    No Flash

Flashed

TV No Flash

TV Flashed

Hi guys, please pardon my ignorance in photography. I still know nuts about it.
    Now, I actually think that the one with no flash seems best replicates the original scene captured by my eyes. However, the foreground turns out too bright and white, some of the leaves also. Why so? How can I overcome this?

Also, this TV (No Flash) mode that I'm using. I've no idea what it is. But the colors look natural except that the lighting seems to have weakened by 70%. I'm using 2 X 36 Watts PL for your info.

Right now, I've no other gadgets except my cam. What's the best way to take the best possible tank pics. I'm really exhausted with all those snappings None turn out to be within my expectations. Sighs~!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tv = Shutter priority mode, you set the shutter, the camera determines the aperture.

Av =Aperture priority mode, you set the aperture, the camera determines the shutter.

---
    I suggest you use P mode and a tripod when in doubt.

when using flash, use M mode. (ie: you determine shutter, aperture and iso, camera determines the flash power)

Read your manual, read the guide i posted earlier.

if you want a good book, try
    Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson

--
    in order to shoot things properly, you need to understand photography , suggest you go to the library and get a book at least... (or if we have a photography outing or something later to ask).

in anycase, with no flash on, I suggest you shoot at iso 100-400, P mode (shift it to f/ and with a tripod. (and use the timer function perhaps to eliminate handshake).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    No Flash

Flashed

TV No Flash

TV Flashed

Hi guys, please pardon my ignorance in photography. I still know nuts about it.
    Now, I actually think that the one with no flash seems best replicates the original scene captured by my eyes. However, the foreground turns out too bright and white, some of the leaves also. Why so? How can I overcome this?

Also, this TV (No Flash) mode that I'm using. I've no idea what it is. But the colors look natural except that the lighting seems to have weakened by 70%. I'm using 2 X 36 Watts PL for your info.

Right now, I've no other gadgets except my cam. What's the best way to take the best possible tank pics. I'm really exhausted with all those snappings None turn out to be within my expectations. Sighs~!

TV is a mode that the camera will automatically adjust the aperture size base on the shutter speed that user set. It has nothing to as whether your tank pic looks natural or not...Seriously, get to get acquainted with your camera more..Learn now how to shoot your stuff in RAW and that way you can do your color correction..i.e...to make the pic look like the tank in your case as much as possible.

So here are the modes:

TV: Time Value
    AV: Aperture Value(Not Adult Video)
    M: Totally manual
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    Dale Carnegie

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok, thx guys. Understand that it's no point for me rambling on and on about what to do, or what to know etc...Guess I would probably need a year at least to grasp the concepts. I'm juggling too many things at the same time now and I feel stressed out already Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think I could do you a favour and exchange my dear old G5 with your 350D. tell you what, I'd even throw in my beloved ST-E2 !

heehee.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    I think I could do you a favour and exchange my dear old G5 with your 350D. tell you what, I'd even throw in my beloved ST-E2 !

heehee.
    Choy!

Finally giving a thought about upgrading? The Canon EOS 350D will serve you very very well. actually a Canon EOS 20D will serve you even better.

Just ask Mervin. He owns both the 20D and the G5 (which he hardly use these days).

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    no no, no upgrading. just helping to allevaite the pains of our bro wong1979. the G5 can use LCD to view some more, exactly what he needs!
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny
    Choy!

Finally giving a thought about upgrading? The Canon EOS 350D will serve you very very well. actually a Canon EOS 20D will serve you even better.

Just ask Mervin. He owns both the 20D and the G5 (which he hardly use these days).

Cheers,

The quality of a DSLR really blows me away..the 1st time I am impressed with my own pictures...
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    Dale Carnegie

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hehe...gimme a few months time to practise...if really i'm a photography idiot, i might consider selling it or trading it off for a p/s camera

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hehe...gimme a few months time to practise...if really i'm a photography idiot, i might consider selling it or trading it off for a p/s camera
    its ok lah, everyone has to start somewhere.
    its just that u have GUTS to jump into the DEEP BLUE SEA before checking how deep is DEEP !!!!

hahahaha ! just joking.

when i 1st started out i was as blur if not worst off then u but now after a few months of asking(thick skin is ok) and self practising.....still blur but a little better.

have fun and start SHOOTING !!!!

good luck !
    cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast