Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Newbie : KH PH enquiry

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have just set up my 4ft tank. Today as I checked the KH using the the kit. Filled it up as instructed : 5ml of tank water, then drop by drop. However with the first drop the water already turned yellow! How do I interpret this? Does it means it is 1dKH???

I thought the the water was supposed to turn blue and then to yellow???

Pse advise.

Also with the ADA Africana soil, the PH reads 6.5 - 6.6 How do I find out how much CO2 is required? I am using CO2 canister with selenoid valve. Currently setting it at 3 bubbles per second. Should I buy one of those CO2 indicator kit? Any recommendations?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, most likely it means 1 dkH. Check your box... they should state that circumstance in the instructions (it does state in my Aquarium Pharmaueticals test kit)

ADA Africana will lower your pH/kH, so it's no use relying on the pH/kH readings from your tank to figure out the CO2 content in your water. My take is, increase the CO2 bubble count day by day until the plants are bubbling vigourously and the livestock are comfortable. In other words, set the CO2 input to the maximum level that will not stress fishes. Too much CO2 is only a issue for livestock, so don't worry.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Squee, I will try to increase the CO2 as recommended. My lighting condition is currently - FL 36W x 3 should I change the requirements to higher? I have low light plants like java moss, nanas and some that i have yet to find out their names but the LFS mention to me that is these plants requires low lights.

If i increased the CO2 will the plant still bubbles in these lighting conditions ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by iplant
    Thanks Squee, I will try to increase the CO2 as recommended. My lighting condition is currently - FL 36W x 3 should I change the requirements to higher? I have low light plants like java moss, nanas and some that i have yet to find out their names but the LFS mention to me that is these plants requires low lights.

If i increased the CO2 will the plant still bubbles in these lighting conditions ?
    ur lighting is pretty high for such plants, but nvm..more better than less......
    u gotta increase ur co2,
    1)---is to counter algae growth
    2)---helps plants to bubble

i currently running 2x36W PL for my 3 ft and having around 30ppm, my java ferns are bubbling...
    hmmm......nana bubbling, so far nv see b4.....will nana bubble??
    i'm ADDicted to this wonderful hobby

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    iplant, I do not have a 4ft tank and I'm relatively new to the hobby too so I can't comment on your lights.

I forgot to mention, the reason for keeping CO2 at that maximum level is, like taz_boy said, to minimise the possibilty of algae. Once CO2 is kept at 30ppm and at a constant level throughout the photoperiod ( this sentence has been repeated many many times ), you can start to blame your fert regime for algae causes.

Low-light plants in my opinion, do not require low light. They are just more adapted to low-light conditions. Therefore high light will not harm them. You can put them in high or low light conditions.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Guys, you are a lot of help

OK noted up the CO2 till bubbles appears in ferns. Ermm what does 30ppm means??? How do i know if i reach 30 ppm??? At present i set it at 3 bubbles per second for a period of 10 hrs when light is on.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi iplant I don think you should up your CO2 until your ferns bubble. Instead you should take reference to your fishes. You should up your CO2 gradually until the point where any increase in CO2 will cause your fishes to gasp for O2 at the water surface. 30 ppm stands for 30 parts per million and you can achieve this from the above mentioned method. Anything more than 30 ppm will cause insufficient O2 for your fishes.
    Best Regards
    YongHua

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Er lyh, not exactly. 30ppm is just the reccommended level for planted tanks with CO2 and it will take probably 50-60ppm (or something like that, wild guess here) to make the fishes gasp.

iplant, take note of lyh's warning to take reference from the fish. Bubbling is a seperate issue; plants can be completely healthy and growing like mad without any sign of bubbling present.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks lyh and squee, ok will look out for signs of distress in fishes. My tank is relatively new, only about 6 days old. I transferred all my fishes from a 2 ft to this 4 ft. Now they are very happy swimming ard. dont think i hv a big bioload cas the whole tank still looks sparely populated. Approx : 25 types of fishes.