Country
    Singapore

Setting up 3ftX1.5X1.5 low maintenance tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi all,

This is my virgin post and hope that I can get some advice for experts here.

Previously been dabbling with high-tech tanks (max 2ft), had some small successes but due to high maintenance, it usually last me less than 6 mths....

Been surfing the forum and amazed at how many bros are able to achieve spectacular landscapings with LOW-tech tanks. Esp bro Joe!

Being inspired and soon to be moving into my new house. I am starting advance planning for my new planted tank foray into low tech low maintenance tanks.

I am planning for a 3ft open concept tank. hoping to have overhead lamps hanging down instead of having the usual plastic stands holding the lamps. Any bros have some pics to share how your hang your lights, and hide the wiring well?

For the plants below what is the reccommended wattage to have in LT tanks?

Plan to have the following plants as well:

Javamoss,
    Java fern,
    Windelov fern,
    Anubias,
    lotus,
    japonica p.

Any foreground plants to recommend? Would love to try glosso for its carpet effects but without strong lights will prob end in failure.....

How about Hairgrass?

What is the recommended substrate for the above plants? Do I need a base fertilizer as well for low maintenance tanks? If yes, what should I use?

Planned inhibitants:

Mainly tetras X 50
    SAE X 2
    Yamatos + malayas + cherry shrimps X 100

Is the bioload ok for 3ft LT tank?

Sorry for the long long questions. But really hope to get it right for my attempt in low tech tanks.

THANKS A MIL and hear from the experts soon.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You would need a good substrate for a low-tech tank. 1 inch of potting soil top with 1-2 inch of gravel will be good. The substrate will supply the CO2 and nutrients needed by the plants.

1.5 to 2.5 wpg of lights will work of a low tech tank.

Most plants that grow in a high-tech tank will probably grow in a low-tech one. I have got glosso to grow to a quite nice lawn with abt 2wpg, it takes a bit patience to coax the glosso to grow horizontally. APP grew quite nicely for me in my low tech tank. Hairgrass will also do well in a low-tech tank. Plant as heavily as possible as you would in a high tech tank.

Fertilisation is only done when neccessary. Sometimes when you have good fish load and substrate, it might not be neccessary. I use Seachem Equilibrium initially. This will supply Mg, Ca, K, Fe and Mn. I dose KNO3 and traces (Easylife Profitto) once in a while when my plants exibit deficiency. This occurs quite infrequently. Feed your fish well. The waste from the fish and some leftover will supply the CO2 and nutrients with they get broken down (the bacteria in the soil substrate will do this).

Moderate filteration will suffice.

As in the high-tech tank, you will also want to keep surface turbulance down to minimise CO2 loss. Air pumps are not recommended too.

The inhabitants you suggested looks fine.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the tips. Appreciate it.

Any pics to share on your glosso lawn? need further inspirations! Ü

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by adi99
    Thanks for the tips. Appreciate it.

Any pics to share on your glosso lawn? need further inspirations! Ü
    That was quite some times ago. I never grown glosso again since. I kind of dislike its looks.

BC