Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hehe, you've made an effort, that's what counts!

Hey, you should try the tropical pitcher plants (Nepenthes species). They do very well in terrariums. Go for the lowland tropical ones, sometimes the plant nurseries around KL sells it (try Sg. Buloh). DONT grow the highland ones, like the one you collect or those that Cameron Highland nurseries sell. They need very cool nights.

The purplish veined pitcher plant in your earlier pic is a North American Sarracenia. It looks similar to my S. purpurea. Flytraps bad idea too for tropical areas (well unless you put an aircond in the terrarium ).

To tell the tropical pitchers from the temperate: tropical forms the pitcher at the tip of the leaf, temperate has no real leaf blade - entire leaf is a pitcher that comes off the ground.

Min
    Regards

MIN

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    Oh also, they sell them as hanging pots most of the time, shared this in case you had a hard time finding them. Oh rather than Sg. Buloh nurseries ( are u in KL area?) I've bought one (when I was back home) from the new Ikea outlet in PJ. Yeah! you should check out the plant area in Ikea. A lot of good terrarium plants IMHO for a good price. Well grown specimens compared to nurseries sometimes. Bought a beautiful Nepenthes rafflesiana there. Oh, and most of the time, you really have to look (that's why I mentioned the hanging pot aspect). The plants normally would have near dead or no pitchers at all (transportation and sub-optimal conditions). Only strappy leaves radiating from a central stem. Put them in terrarium and they flourish.

Bought some other Neps from this Malay guy in SS2 night market two years ago too. It looks like he collects from the wild, as the whole plant seems to be dug out soil and all and put straight into the pot. Dont think one should support this too much. But I was pitcher plant crazy and the species he had were so tempting. Bought RM 50 worth of plants...4 plants I think.

Min
    Regards

MIN

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Yes. I jsut went to the old ikea (1 Utama) and found they selling few types of pitcher plants, venus flytrap and sundew...Price is consider cheap. But then most of them are from cameron. So...didnt get any.
    My new blog about field trip, aquascaping, DIY and etc. http://dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi itssg, pls update on ur snakes...i mean vivarium.
    Lophiosilurus alexandri (pacman catfish)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi,

All the plants inside there growing very healhy. But not the snakes. Both were RIP after i am back from the oil rig. The Oriental was swallow a house lizard and can't digest... The Blue Bronzeback was accident swallow the mosses together with the froggie...

Sad to see both of them left me.
    My new blog about field trip, aquascaping, DIY and etc. http://dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So sorry to hear that... You mean snakes can die from ingesting moss? They are so strictly carnivorous?
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    poor snakes, but sooner or later u'll get a new one with all that greeneries around u....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Haiz....This breaks my heart...and this is precisely the reason why i dont EVER keep wild caught species. You think they are bringing you joy... What about them, you think they are happy?? now they are dead!! end of story.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yah, i guess ur rite.... i just tot since the snakes are small and tank is big, it shouldn't be a problem..... cos i just get excited with snakes. ever kept python when i was small, caught by my uncle who's a fireman. all sizes of phython.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    I believe most of us stubborn and will still get what we wants eventhough we don't have experience to keep them. (otherwise, how are we going to gain the experience and sharing in here?)

I told myself...no more wild caught animal for me. Unless that is fishes...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123