Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Anyone has any new species of water plants

Anyone has any new species of water plants

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi There,

Looking for new species of water plants which is not available in the market
    Bring nature closer to you

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

for example plants that does not have scitific names ...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Natquarium, maybe you could be more specific about what you're looking for?
    ''Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds.'' Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    repeat post. see below.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Taxonomists have been so efficient in their job over the years that it is highly unlikely that any plant that is readily sold or can be easily collected would not have a scientific name. Fish perhaps, esp the thousands of undescribed tetras and dwarf cichlids in South America, but most, if not all plants, once discovered, will quickly find earn a description in scientific journals.

But I think it would be true to state that at this stage, there are still many species of plants out there that have potential as aquarium plants. Plants in the waterlily, frogbit (Blyxa, Vallisneria, Hydrilla), hornwort, water plaintain (Echinodorus and Sagitarria) families are already well known as suitable tank denizens.

But the vast range of biodiversity known to exist in tropical freshwater habitats surely does not preclude the existence of countless species that, given some experimentation, will prove hidden treasures. One factor, of course, that has expanded the repertoire of plants available to hobbyists is the widespread use of CO2 injection. For instance, Rataj in his old textbook, Aquarium Plants, cites among others, Elatine and Glossostigma, as being less than suitable species, but nowadays, this is not the case.

What eludes us is probably the fact that many plants undergo both a dry and wet phase, depending on the season. Thus, a bog plant growing on the edge of a river might develop a submersed form during rainy season floods, but unless one observes this particular habit (a task requiring immense patience), the phenomenon goes unnoted. There are also several species of plants known as rheophytes (Anubias for instance), that thrive partially submersed in the wild. However, these species tend to inhabit rather inaccessible habitats (waterfalls, gorges, steep valleys and the like) and thus escape human attention. I am sure many Southeast Asian aroid species (Homalomenas, Aglaonemas, Typhoniums etc) could prove to be Anubias like if they are probably tested in optimum aquarium environments.

There is also the fact of geographical-cultural disparities. It seems that the Taiwanese (and Japanese), nowadays, based on their plant literature, are far more advanced in their species usage, and only a few of these "new" plants find their way to these parts currently.

Personally, new plants are always interesting. But I would doubt that many here would have already exhausted the species generally available in Singapore (e.g. those in the Oriental and Tropica catalogues). Thus, I remain content, for now. Besides, new introductions always tend to be dreadfully pricey. Some patience would surely reward, in terms of affordability (look at all the free Ozelots going around now) and experience (one can learn from the mistakes of early adopters).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Breed them yourself. Can with Echinodorus and Crypt species. Not sure if it satisfy your requirements, but at least it will be unique if you are successful.

I personally know that new species are hard to find. But never the least, I have manage to get some on hand. Thanks for the advise Yeo, I am still tring propagating Ech and also manage to get a few new types already. Buy the way, anyone has any Malcaya sp or tonina sp on hand? I love to try on them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah. i like the look of tonina, also looking for najas indica as well. but not sure if they can survive 28/30 degree tank

Feedback Score
    [] []
    i'll be getting some Red Sun Grass from some HK's Hobbyist tomorrow....

what are sun red grass? If it is uncommon, can I have some of it? Thanks