Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

tests

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i have set up my tank for a month, last sunday release 4 nos of discus plus 8 nos of green neon. however in 2 days 2 neon and 1 sae die, today 1 discus die. the plant are growing heathly and bubbling like hell. check the ph, is around 6. temp is 29 when light is on. ( 2ft with 2 x 36w pl). so what is the cause? any other kind of test needed ? i brought jbl kh test kit, but dont really know how to use it, thus believe that i can;t really tell the kh level of my tank.
    thank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    check your nitrite levels
    right now, change your water and add some salt, this helps to alleviate nitrite poisoning, if it is the cause
    regardless, change your water

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    where brand of test kit should i get to check the nitrite levels? and where too?
    what is the right level of nitrite?
    thank[:0]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i like sera.. dunno abt other brands though..

How are the discus doing? Could use them for your indicators for the moment.
    Visit Spilopterus' Tank
    Fish of Fury

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    the discus seem all right but 1 discus seem like to be at the surface, like short of o2. btw my co2 is on 24 hrs with 1.5 bubble per sec. this evening got a sae into this tank, in a few sec, it turn up side down. i remove it from the tank.[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/18/2002 8:42:57 AM

where brand of test kit should i get to check the nitrite levels? and where too?
    what is the right level of nitrite?
    thank[:0]
    ----------------
    i use sera too
    but any nitrite test kit will do
    nitrite levels should be at ZERO
    o.5ppm will be enuff to start killing fish

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'll suggest you do a water change immediately. Your fishes are in great stress.

Check you KH too. pH of 6 is quite low. Our tap water is about 2~3 dKH. That will put CO2 at 60~90ppm!!! Never go beyond 30ppm!!! That would probably explain why you plants are bubbling so much.

IMO, if your plants are doing well, NH3 will be low and NO2 will be low too. Furthermore, you just added your fishes and within 2 days the problem start. NO2 may not be the problem.

I will suggest that you cut down you CO2 and see if situation improve.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You JBL test kit dun have instructions???

For KH tests, it is usually a titration type test. Drop 1 drop at a time until color change. The number of drops = number of °KH. The color usually change from blue to green to yellow. Stop at yellow.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Please check your kH level. My tap water is almost zero. Have to add NaCO3 with every water change. BTW, are you using DIY or presurized co2. I strongly suggest you injet co2 only when the lights are on. I would also reduce inction to 1 b/s. If fishes are gasping for air, not necessary means they are short of O2 but maybe CO2 poisoning. Quick check your kH.....
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    your co2, why is it on 24/7?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My guess is that he doesn't have a solenoid.

You cannot depend on bubble rate to determine CO2 levels, cos there there are other factors involved... Use KH and pH to determine the actual CO2 levels.

but if your plants are bubbling, it means that you have enough O2 in the water to reach saturation, so it is unlikely to be O2 low.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    may not be O2 low but could be CO2 high. Same effect rite.... check b4 it's too late
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi guys,
    have change 50% of my water today, only added a capful of anti-chlorine and 4 ml of ocean free black water. have not check the kh, will do it maybe this evening, 6 hours after water change.
    do have have a solenoid, so my co2 ias running 24 hors with 1.5 bubble per sec. lighting 7 hours per day. so you guys say to check nh3 and no2, how is affect the water, plants and fishes? what is the right reading?
    how to use KH and pH to determine the actual CO2 levels?

thank .
    sotong buzz

[]

Feedback Score
    Hi Buzzy, one question. Do you acclimatised your new fishes slowly with your aquarium water before releasing them into your tank?

Turn off your CO2 at night...
    It's a waste injecting CO2 at night and it will poison your fishes at night too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    at ph 6 your ammonia is not a concern
    nitrite should be zero, as i said b4
    bubbling is a sign that the water has a lot of oxygen, no worries there
    how is the co2 being added into your tank? reactor or diffusor?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi guys,
    check my kh for this tank, it is at 8. believe that this test kit is ok as i test the tap water (kh 3) and another new set up plant tank (kh 4). so don't know why the kh in this tank still so high. did a 50% water change 8 hours ago be4 this test. any advise?

i intro 5pcs of mayalan and a sae after a week of set up and only fishes which consisted of 4 discus and 8 green neon after a month of set up. now it as 6 weeks old and 2 green neon, 1 discu and few sae ( they die and i replace again and again) have died.

i don't turn off the co2 as i don't have solenoid. try be4 turn off and on the co2 manually but due to the timing and the adjustment of the bubble count, i decide to go for the 24 hours. ( my light is on from 3 pm tp 10:30 pm)

i used a taiwanese reactor. [:0]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    KH is 8 and pH is 6!!! That means 240ppm... no wonder fish die.[] But it is a wonder that fishes are still swimming in it. Could be your pH or KH values are not accurate.

You can refer to this chart for CO2 calculation.

Cut down your CO2.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi guys,
    have check my ph again , it read at 7 . check kh , still at 8, have lower my co2 to 5-6 sec per bubble.
    as per the chart that i was refer,ph at 7 and kh at 8 is at 24ppm, where is ok. ao am i right to say that i tank is ok?
    [:0]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast