Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Is it normal for a male guppy to have a big stomach

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Is it normal for a male guppy to have a big stomach??
    I notice it's behavior kind of strange always stay right below base area and no movement,, some time it just to the surface of the water.... it has been going on for days.... and finaly it just die like that???

very strange ... the reat of the guppies are fine and active everytime I look at them or someone pass by the tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    do you know what is dropsy ?
    can find out from pics in the net.

can the anus be seen very clearly, and look as if it had been stretched?
    at later stages, perhaps there will not be any feaces at all.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    sounds like dropsy.. check the scale.. will defintely see the scales popping outwards.. if so, remove immediately from yr main tank

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    whenever i see fishes that has drospy i kinna have my hair standing out, i feel so sorry for them as they kinna gotton cancer, i just find that it's very scary.

try to put in medication once u notice sign of dropsy it will still help , but if it's in the later stage no pt it will just be gone.

it will fisrtly ignore food then slowly u can see bloated stomach area, pop eyes, scales flaring.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/19/2002 3:49:52 PM

whenever i see fishes that has drospy i kinna have my hair standing out, i feel so sorry for them as they kinna gotton cancer, i just find that it's very scary.

try to put in medication once u notice sign of dropsy it will still help , but if it's in the later stage no pt it will just be gone.

it will fisrtly ignore food then slowly u can see bloated stomach area, pop eyes, scales flaring.
    ----------------
    benetay! The moment you describe drospy, it reminds me of my poor guppy with a bloated stomach! Ahhh! My hairs are standing again and goose pimples appears again! Yeeeeee!!!!!

Anyway, I had to dispose the poor guppy away since it is not longer curable in later stage.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    OIC.... but what's the cause of this sickness?[] Is anti-bacterial correct medi to use

ALso very strange another female guppy lost weight... the stomach has gone flat... she look so thin... the same happen a my blue neon eyes too... gone flat get even see the stomach??? Can Any doctor help???

I am trying out the garlic recipe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Garlic usually used for ich...

I would recommend Sera Baktopur Direct. Potent stuff...

BC

Feedback Score
    joestays, it's a problem of indigestion

Feedback Score
    When you want to keep guppy, try to control the air/water current and also add antibiotic. Then the fish will last longer. When buying guppy, buy a young ones as the life span of guppies are short. You can judge from the body shape in regard to its age. If the guppy is hunched, then dun buy it.

Feedback Score
    And it is impt to use antibiotics to control guppies. And the antibiotics I do have it in my shop.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks guys....

the female is still alive and swimming... hungry for food but she ia bit slow....

CARE- what kind of antibiotics, will it affect other fishes like the neon, pencil?? is the ANTIBIO just for the bloated stomach... what about the flat stomach???

BTW when you shop?? thanks again care.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi joestoys

May I know how long u've been keeping that bloated male ie. roughly how old is that guppy??

I'm also keeping guppy.

For bloated tummy, there might be few reasons.
    One, could be what the rest suggested, dropsy with the scales "popping" out.
    U can try using Interpet No. 9 Anti-internal bacteria with Epsom salt (from pharmacy) added into your hospital tank. This might work if your dropsy is discovered early.

2nd, could be overfeeding, what are u using to feed your fishes?? Overfeeding will result in big liver = bloated tummy = early death.

3rd, if u keep the guppy for more than a yr, the bloated tummy could be due to old age, can't digest the food that well, try not to feed too much. If this is the reason (old age), there's no way u can save this guppy, eventually, u will lose the fish in around most 2 wks time. U will see white stringy poop from the guppy, sluggish behavior and stay near the top/surface of the water.

Do keep us updated[:]
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    Understand that friends come and go,
    but with a precious few you can hold on.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/19/2002 5:17:16 PM

OIC.... but what's the cause of this sickness?[] Is anti-bacterial correct medi to use

ALso very strange another female guppy lost weight... the stomach has gone flat... she look so thin... the same happen a my blue neon eyes too... gone flat get even see the stomach??? Can Any doctor help???

I am trying out the garlic recipe
    ----------------

Stomach gone flat?? could it happened to "give birth" to frys?? if not then should be some internal bacteria.[]

Feedback Score
    It won't affect other fishes. It can help in various situations for the fishes. You can get it from me at Blk 82 Macpherson Lane #01-15 (Mr Ken @ 67474587).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    jhseah,

What is garlic treatment? Crush garlics and throw into the water?

BTW, I saw something weird which I think you may be able to help me.
    I was feeding my guppies some tubiflex worms and lots of my guppies were rushing for it. After sometime, I saw the tubiflex worms(or intestine??) appearing at the bottom of one the guppy as though there is a hole and the worms were trying to escape out of the guppy's stomach.

I had not seen anything like that before. So I quickly remove it and place it in my hospital tank and the next day, the guppy look sick. Tail closing up and seems that some fin-rot is occuring.

Happen to see anything like that before?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/22/2002 11:34:36 AM

jhseah,

What is garlic treatment? Crush garlics and throw into the water?

BTW, I saw something weird which I think you may be able to help me.
    I was feeding my guppies some tubiflex worms and lots of my guppies were rushing for it. After sometime, I saw the tubiflex worms(or intestine??) appearing at the bottom of one the guppy as though there is a hole and the worms were trying to escape out of the guppy's stomach.

I had not seen anything like that before. So I quickly remove it and place it in my hospital tank and the next day, the guppy look sick. Tail closing up and seems that some fin-rot is occuring.

Happen to see anything like that before?

----------------

Ninjafly

Its been said by other aquarist who tried adding garlic juice or minced garlic to mix inside the fishfood eg beefheart to feed the fish. The garlic act to clean the fishes inside.

AS for the worms seen near the anus of the guppy, is it only one fish affected or more than one??
    From what u described to me, it should be camallanus infestation!!!
    Its my most feared thing tat could happened to my fishes. The worms u saw is a parasite that clings onto the intestine of the fish. Any attempt to pull it out will result in death of the fish cos the whole intestine will be out too.
    I've tried various medication but no use. eg. dewormer medicine for discus, internal bacteria and even anti-parasite medicated flakes. This parasite is very hard to get rid. Once the fish is agitated or if u medicate the water, the worm will shrink back into the fish. Once no more medication, the worms come out and "play" again!!!

This parasites is very contagious, once one of your fishes got it, the whole tank should be infected too as the worms will lay eggs together out with the poop. Another fish goes nibble, in goes the eggs and wah lah... another worm, another infected fish. The worms get its nutrients from the fish. Slowly, the affected fish will get thinner and eventual death.
    Camallanus found mostly in livebearers but those tankmates will also get it. My own personal experience, my whole tank irregardless of what fish - angelfish, tetras all got infected and I got to clear out all the fishes and sterilise the whole tank.

Think the parasites either came in thru your feed of tubifex worms or your fishes itself when u bought it since u said yours are feeder fishes. When the mother fishes got it, the parasites actually had eggs with the frys and thus your whole batch of frys are not spared either.

If confirmed that the worms are there, I would suggest to you not to waste time finding a cure, dumped all your fishes away, sterilise your tank and your gravels or decor too. If u find too troublesome, get new gravels.

Pls try not to get feeder fishes or unknown source.

Good Luck!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi!
    I find tubifex is a great carrier of such parasites... many of my initial fishes died because of the difficulty in curing this ailment.

Just to add some information.
    I suspect that these parasites'eggs can remain dormant even when dried or frozen. I got 2 cases of camallanus infestation even though I don't feed live worms. The fishes are born in my home and raised on dried and frozen foods only.

Some people will buy garlic powder from health stores and mix the powder into their food. Garlic is a proven method in curing internal parasites.

If you are going to sterlize your tank(s), I would advise you to use bleach or a strong agent, seemingly agents like potassium permanganate do not work.

Good Luck.

[:]
    Uniting all Guppy lovers

Guppy Club, Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't really like to use antibiotics to prevent guppies from getting sick. They will get weaker and weaker over time and generations. If you want your guppies to last longer, proper acclimatization procedures is very important. You can add salt initially. An alternative is to buy younger fish, i.e. body length about 2cm or below.
    Uniting all Guppy lovers

Guppy Club, Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Chris/jhseah,

When you say use bleach, do you mean those bleaching agent used for washing clothes?

Oh no! Though I had removed the guppy away, I had yet to see another infected fish in my tank. Hopefully the other fish don't get it.

I had quite a number of fish and dun really want to throw them away. Especially the Gouramis, threadfin rainbow fish and my cute adorable corydoras.

I think the fish had the parasites as you and mentioned coz even though I had placed the guppy in another container, thought it will dies off and then I can throw away (just dun bear to kill and throw away the live guppy lar).
    Surprisingly, it is still surviving till now. Just that the guppy is getting weaker each day.

BTW, if there isn't signs of worms crawling out on my other fish, does it mean that my other fish is not affected? I think I will wait again and see if there are other fish that got infected with this parasite.

Thanks for the advice...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Chris/jhseah,

When you say use bleach, do you mean those bleaching agent used for washing clothes?

Oh no! Though I had removed the guppy away, I had yet to see another infected fish in my tank. Hopefully the other fish don't get it.

I had quite a number of fish and dun really want to throw them away. Especially the Gouramis, threadfin rainbow fish and my cute adorable corydoras.

I think the fish had the parasites as you and mentioned coz even though I had placed the guppy in another container, thought it will dies off and then I can throw away (just dun bear to kill and throw away the live guppy lar).
    Surprisingly, it is still surviving till now. Just that the guppy is getting weaker each day.

BTW, if there isn't signs of worms crawling out on my other fish, does it mean that my other fish is not affected? I think I will wait again and see if there are other fish that got infected with this parasite.

Thanks for the advice...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast