Images
    Country
    Singapore

Gravel too thick???

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    When you are using gravel (eg lapis sand), would the thickness of the gravel from the base fertiliser affect plants with short roots?

If I were to concentrate on planting hairgrass or glosso, would a 3 inches thick gravel post a problem to the plants reaching the base fert?

Any experience?
    Peace & Tranquillity
    My Photos:
    http://www.freewebs.com/cbong/index.htm

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sometimes I wonder about that too.

Aquatic plants however prefer to take in some nutrients (like phosphorous if I'm not wrong) through their leaves. I also recall someone saying plants take nutrients in the water first, and only switch to using the substrate if the nutrients in the water are not enough.

For your 3 inches thick gravel, are you planning to have this depth all over? Or just the background? Typically the gravel at the front is much thinner, so foreground plants have no problem.

But I'd not underestimate plant roots. Glosso has crazily long roots ime.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Most runner plants will put out very long roots to reach whatever sources they might need.

Even tonina and eriocaulon will have very long roots. If you observe your crypts, their runners come from beneath 1inch and the roots can be 10cm or longer. Not mentioning about nympheae.

So, what's the problem?
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes and No. If your water parameters is bad, there may not be enough nutrients for the plant to put up the long roots as mentioned by Roland above...especially for lapis..
    If it's ada soil or something equivalent then no problem at all.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thats not issue if the water column is rich in nutrients. Plants don't need the roots to grow for your info. Some folks went far and took all the roots off yet the plant grew. He then took the leaves off except for the roots and stems..the plant died. Water column is the long term solution for fertilization. Substrate fertilization merely act as a backup in case you loose up on things due to work and etc.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee
    ... He then took the leaves off except for the roots and stems..the plant died. ...
    Errrr... the plant died of not able to uptake nutrients or not able to photosynthesis???

Flawed experiment... IMO.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Taking too many leaves away from weak plants may sometimes stunt it and even kill it. When tearing the leaves, there could be some damages caused to important tissues which cripple the plants and thus, dying.

IMO, for rosette plants and many stem plants, long term nutrients should best come from gravel where there are massive and established root system. While water column nutrients act as the supplement fo them and is main source for floating plants, Epiphytic plants, true aquatic plants.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee
    Some folks went far and took all the roots off yet the plant grew. He then took the leaves off except for the roots and stems..the plant died.
    Maybe there are exceptions.

I have stem plants (eg. Rotala indica var. uliginosa) with all the leaves dropped off because it was not growing well at the bottom. Left the stem and maybe some roots. I let it float in my tank and new leaves started to appear after a week or so.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Same for rotala sp goias. A bare 3cm stem can be grown into 4-5 beautiful shoots.

Rotala indica var. uliginosa? How does it look like?
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think its the indica that you already have seen before Roland.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by cbong
    When you are using gravel (eg lapis sand), would the thickness of the gravel from the base fertiliser affect plants with short roots?

If I were to concentrate on planting hairgrass or glosso, would a 3 inches thick gravel post a problem to the plants reaching the base fert?

Any experience?
    Hi,

IMO, 3" gravel will be too thick for the hairglass or glosso, cos they are creeples and their roots are short. Your hairgrass or glosso might not be able to get enough nutrient from the ferteliser. about 1.5" will do.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i would suggest if u are keeping moss fully moss tank .. u can use low level of gravel..
    but if u are growing plants that have roots..
    or runners pls use more soil
    I Doesnt haVe GReen HAIr NoR orANGE bodY. DOnT chOP mE likE A cARroT !!