Country
    Singapore

NKF - Mrs GCT's comments

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    As quoted by The NewPaper

" When asked if she thought Mr Durai's $600,000 a year pay was excessive, she replied : FOr a person who runs a big million-dollar charitable organisation, with a few hundred of million in reserves. $600,000 a year is peanuts. "

I think that comment was absolutely insensitve and has helped nothing to dissolve the issue. It's really disappointing to hear such stuff coming from a highly regarded person.

These classes of people really don't understand what $600,000 means to the ordinary Singaporean.
    Last edited by andrewtyr; 14th Jul 2005 at 00:12.
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

NKF - Mrs GCT's comments

same here. Very disappointed with that comment too and that comment had made many people lost their respect for her.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    i think she forgot that this "million-dollar charitable organisation" is a NON-PROFIT ORGANISATION... meaning that his salary is taken from the COMMON UNRICH singaporean... i don't see a problem with her statement if it was strictly a big business organisation EARNING their own money.. but please... know the difference..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Given her stature in society, that statement displayed utter lack of diplomacy and tact. Not only has it shown her in bad light but now, even the common people cast wary sentiments upon her high profile spouse, his colleagues and their 'corporation'.

The upper leagues have alienated themselves from the have-nots, the royalties from the peasants. From their ivory castles, where the ground is sweet, who can hear the moans of hardship? Do the people's message have to be scrawled upon walls, before the common man's voice can be heard?

MNCs, in profitable years, flinch not from huge figured perks but perhaps the good lady has forgotten her definition and role of a patron, as a person who champions a good cause, and in this case, a charitable non-profit organisation. Is the recent fiasco something she knowingly support, poor judgement or risque affiliation?

We used to have champions amongst our men in white but even they too, seem to have forgotten their original mission... for the people? Heh, not too difficult, especially when they pegged their worth in line with peanuts-paid high-flyers.

As a younger person, I recall not understanding when someone said, "You pay peanuts, you get monkeys". Now I know.

An aside:
    Where it used to be the people scanning the news, we now have the media trolling the Net. Be mindful of the double-edged words you write, especially the keyboard trigger happy who shoots from behind the monitor. Your anonymity is virtual and you can't hide from those who seek you out.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    Where it used to be the people scanning the news, we now have the media trolling the Net. Be mindful of the double-edged words you write, especially the keyboard trigger happy who shoots from behind the monitor. Your anonymity is virtual and you can't hide from those who seek you out.
    Good advice, Ronnie but truth is the first line of defense. Don't worry if you can prove what you say is true or if what you say is "fair comment". If we want change, we mustn't be afraid to speak up.

Here are my "fair comments" on what Mrs Goh said. Let's hope it won't be "famous last words"

When she mentioned "peanuts", it seem to imply that she believes Mr Durai deserves even more than what's he getting now. When she wondered "what was the fuss all about?", it also seem to suggest she knew all along what Mr Durai was drawing as salary. These 2 thoughts are rather disturbing, wouldn't you say?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    When she mentioned "peanuts", it seem to imply that she believes Mr Durai deserves even more than what's he getting now. When she wondered "what was the fuss all about?", it also seem to suggest she knew all along what Mr Durai was drawing as salary. These 2 thoughts are rather disturbing, wouldn't you say?

Loh K L
    Evidently, she has invited a lot of backlash to herself, not to mention lost that kind of respect people use to have for her.
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I was surprised to see such reply coming from her. I am sure she regretted saying those words.

The PM/SM/MM are smart to keep quiet and let Khaw Boon Wan handle the situation