Country
    Singapore

Asahi Glass Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Jus a beginner's question!
    I have recently bought a Nisso Stingray Series Curved 3ft tank!
    It is love at first sight!
    The tank was outstanding among all the others on display!
    It was cystal clear; no reflection!
    While the owner approached me and start to sell me the tank, he mentioned that the tanks was made from Asahi glass and therefore its 5 times stronger than normal glass! The thickness, i believe was only 6mm.
    Anyone can share how true this is!
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    as far as I know, asahi glass is the 2nd rated glass that most custom tank manufacturers use,. and they don't use 6mm either. (ie: 8mm for 3ft, 10mm-12mm for 4-5ft) . I dare say its a common glass. (ie: if you aren't using asahi, you would most likely be using starphire, only those teeny tiny betta tanks and cheapo two feet tanks with the green tint are the ones using er window glass)

I suggest you check around.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My understanding of aquarium glass is relatively limited to my experience in buying a tank, which I have categorized in to 3 broad types:

• Starphire, which is a brand name of very low iron [Fe] content class and comes in 12mm & 19mm thickness. There is a supplier here in SG. This is the best quality glass that you can get.

• Japanese float glass – Asahi is one brand [there are probably others], comes in many sizes, and different Grades, although I am not familiar with the grade scales. The Japanese glass that I am using is supposed to be a grade 1 and a high uniform quality. Many tank makers use Asahi glass. Grade 1 has no defects. Grade 2 is grade 1 glass with defects eg bubbles. Grade 4 glass is window glass. Asahi Glass can come from Malaysia, Indonesia, and Singapore [although I am not sure if SG manufactures it] plus Japan. Generally all the same quality except that Indonesian Asahi glass might have some more iron in it. Loupgarou has put forward some good thickness recommendations.

• Chinese glass- which is supposed to have the same grade as the Japanese but quality is unfortunately variable and you might get good or not so good quality for your tank.

I stand to be corrected on the above. Other considerations with thicker glass is braceless vs bracig, view distortion plus the weight goes up quite a bit, then you have to think of the cabinet and how many pillar/posts is it sitting on?

Normal glass [windows] is large topic by itself as the manufactures do all sorts of stuff like tempering, shatter proofing, laminating, coating etc

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the info!
    My concern when i bought the tank was that it's a braceless curved tank and the glass thickness was only 6mm. The tank might not be able to handle the pressure over a long period of time!
    But somehow, he managed to persuade me on the impulse purchase.
    When I went to C328 in the evening, I saw a similar Rainbow tank selling for half the price of mine! The glass was also thicker!

But somehow, i feel that my tank is more outstanding!
    Like I said, the glass barely reflects, thus I might be able to take a few good shots and post it here!
    At least, that's how I console myself!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    You can't take the tank back ?? I would think you should be able to within 30 days. You'll probably get a store credit though, instead of cash back..which would really stink...but, check it out...