Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Non-CO2 tank ~ surface aeration?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Non-CO2 tank ~ surface aeration?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    What if there is constant surface aeration by a hang-on filter to a tank? Will this just have no effect and CO2 levels kept constant or it's best not to have surface agitation for low-maintainence/non-CO2 tanks too?

Ambient CO2 levels are 3ppm I heard? I'm planning on Tom Barr's method for non-CO2 tanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My non-CO2 tank has a over hanging filter and the moss still grow like crazy... The Hygrophila polysperma and H. difformis still maintain their lush leaves... My 2 cents...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I use a Eheim Liberty on my non-CO2 2 ft tank (which stirs up the surface quite a bit), plus a small internal powerhead. Crypts and mosses grow ok.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    What if there is constant surface aeration by a hang-on filter to a tank? Will this just have no effect and CO2 levels kept constant or it's best not to have surface agitation for low-maintainence/non-CO2 tanks too?

Ambient CO2 levels are 3ppm I heard? I'm planning on Tom Barr's method for non-CO2 tanks.
    CO2 level in equilibrium with atmosphere is only about 0.5ppm.

It all depends on how much plants you packed inside your tank. In my tank, I find that keeping surface agitation to the minimal helps the plants.

BC

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks!

Because I was thinking, if surface agitation keeps the CO2 level in the water to say 0.1ppm or whatever value, as long as it's constant (because of constant surface agitation), the tank should have no problem?

In addition, do you guys have emersed growth in those tanks? Just checking because emersed growth is supposed to help alot in non-CO2 tanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    O2 saturation in non-CO2 tanks will not go beyond 100% since the plants are already limited. The only other way to get O2 in to aid in respiration of both critters and bacteria is via surface movement especially during the night (don't overdo it..some movement, not alot.).

Emergent growth are good since it helps to control the ammonia/NO3 level if you overfeed/overdose slightly since they are not limited of CO2 (they get it from atmospheric CO2). 10-15% of surface coverage is good.

Regards
    Peter Gwee