Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    haaa...maybe can try taking a snapshot of a naked hermit..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh, definitely seen it... either dead ones or the one that I made the girl swap shells for the crab when I was buying the crabs earlier on... But that is NOT recommended... The process might hurt the crab... A flash when it is swapping the shell might be too stressful for the poor creature...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ah...choose crab also can choose shell?? haa.. lucky she didn't say that accessories (shells) are sold separately for hermits.

well..you can take pics of them without the use of flash

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    She was not very happy... But we've talked so much, she doesn't mind... And she advised against it... In case I ever thought of doing it again...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    as in she forced the hermit out of the shell???

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, the poor fella has to be 'encouraged' to get out, so, she has to poke a piece of wire into the shell, the crab will be irritated and climb out and it will be switched over to a waiting shell nearby... All done within like 30secs... Fastest being the switching shells... No joke... I will NOT want to do it again... The poor fella must have hated me...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wah...poor chap..being forcibly evicted from its home...tsk tsk.. please leave them alone next time

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yupz... I didn't know the process was like dat... No more forced evictions for me...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by avant
    haaa...maybe can try taking a snapshot of a naked hermit..
    Imagine a flimsy and soft rear end, plus the hard front ends.. that's a naked hermit for you.

Forcing them out isn't very good because the inner section that's hidden in the shell is very soft. If the process was not done properly it can hurt them badly and kill them.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes! Try taking a dead hermit out of its shell... The soft belly actually will 'hook' on to the shell curve and is VERY difficult to take the body out... I will NEVER perform a forced changing of shell again...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ah...so u took out the carcass from the shell and re-use the shell ah?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Use it as deco for the ikan jelewat tank... If I put back the shell into the hermit tank, someone will wanna change shell and they might fight... Better dun give them the chance...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ah... serious? are they really so crazy over changing shells?? ha.. i think you can start a mini-site to report on their antics!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Haha good idea. Kanz, get a webcam and then live feed the video online.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Haha... Me technology-challenged leh... Anyway, can update on the thread in the vivarium section... Very interested in sharing experiences... Haha...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hee...can someone volunteer to set up the live feed in justikanz's place?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Somebody sponsor for webcam and webspace hosting costs then can do lah, otherwise we all can just wonder what the hermits are up to.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    actually saw my hermit changed shells in the tank.
    dropped a few new shells (bought empty - no forced evictions ) into the tank.
    the hermit came crawling over to check them out. turned the shells one by one over to inspect. finally decided one of them was a nice fit.
    crawled out and into the new shell.. very fast.
    a naked hermit really looked like the one in sherman's lagoon comic strip when it decides to walk ard without it's can
    Cheers,
    Melvin Lim

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe I should isolate the crabs over the weekends to have them change shell and/or molt... They are getting sluggish these days... Maybe it is time for molting soon...

Err... Should this thread be moved to the vivarium side?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    finally got an empty tank... anyone seen hermits on sale anywhere? c328 doesn't have them anymore

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast