Images
    Country
    Singapore

Empty shells for hermits

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi. I am currently looking for empty shells (marine snail shells) for my land hermit. Small shells needed, around 1-2" diameter. Anyone know which shops will sell them? Many thanks!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    why dont you use escargot shells?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Also dunno where to find... Anyway, my hermit is rather particular about the shell it wants to use. Tried apple shells, it doesn't like. It is currently choosing marine shells...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Also dunno where to find... Anyway, my hermit is rather particular about the shell it wants to use. Tried apple shells, it doesn't like. It is currently choosing marine shells...
    Where to find? eat them loh..then use the shells..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Escargots not cheap leh... Keke... Will try lah...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just an update, if anyone is interested... Managed to find a marine shop that has some empty shells to spare. Bought some and the hermit immediately changed its shell! Apple snail shell ignored... Think it has a 'taste' for marine snail shells... Need to find bigger shells liao... Thanks for reading.

Feedback Score
    Can you pm me the Lfs that sells the hermit shell?Thks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    you can find shells for sale at tropical fish farm at lorong harlus (pasir ris farmway1)
    Cheers,
    Melvin Lim

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    curious, but what happens if your hermit doesn't have a shell to move into?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Heard they will mati lor... Probably due to stress from fear from predation...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    then will they still have the fear of predation even if it is the sole occupant in the tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Think of them as RJC students loosing their pens before the As. He'll die even if he's the only one in the exam hall

@Justikanz:
    Have you tried soaking the apple snail shells in salt water? Maybe that's what they look for...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    haa... thats an unusual analogy to describe their environment haa.. but i get your point.. i guess if it is alone in the tank, the only predator will be the owner

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, my crabs are land crabs, so it should not bother them if the shells are from fresh or salt water snails... Think it is because apple snail shells are thinner and most salt water snails are denser.

Now, come to think of it, where do they find thicker shells in the forests that the land crabs are supposed to be living in?? Hmm...

Anyway, anyone who is interested to find shells, the LFS at Chinatown (L2, next to the food center at Smith Street) sells bags of them...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well I remember seeing a species of freshwater snail with a really thick shell. Felt like a stone when I picked it up. Was in the resevoir near Nee Soon camp.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the LFS sells them in bags or individually? maybe i'll go take a look.. might consider getting a new tank for them hmm... got any tips on selection?

perhaps that freshwater snail had overdose of calcium from the reservoir water??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In bags and some bigger ones individually...

The gal who sold me the crabs say there is no need for them to change shells till when their legs cannot be withdrawn into the shell... But think the hermits usually like to change shells cos when there are new shells available, they WILL change...

Funnie and choosy creatures, they sure are...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ah... then have you seen them swapping shells?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    In bags and some bigger ones individually...

The gal who sold me the crabs say there is no need for them to change shells till when their legs cannot be withdrawn into the shell... But think the hermits usually like to change shells cos when there are new shells available, they WILL change...

Funnie and choosy creatures, they sure are...
    Just like human.. like to shift to bigger home..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Never seen them swap... Just see the old shell empty and the new shell moving around the next day...

Think they just like a NEW home... Too big, they will feel uncomfortable cos I had one who 'slipped' out once in a while, think it swapped back the next night...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast