Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hydra Hydra

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Had previously tried to remove hydra in my tank by drastically lowering the ph of the water, followed by increasing water temperature until even my plants cannot tahan, 90% died...

But after 2 weeks, I SPOTTED HYDRA IN MY TANK AGAIN!!!!

Has anyone experienced this and how did you combat the problem?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Don't add anything into the tank. It will die off due to hunger. If it's a mature tank, I think there's an accidental introduction in that tank. Just my opinion.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There are fish that will eat the Hydra, right? Just cannot recall on hand now... Try to google for more info?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Check out this site

http://home.clara.net/xenotoca/hydra.htm

the battle continues

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hydras are very sensitive to copper. Run a 9 v current through two copper plates (or even wire) set a few mm apart for 5 minutes. Leave for an hour, to see if the hydra die off, if not repeat the process. The idea is to get the minimum amount of trace copper in the water to kill the hydras without affecting the fish. Don't do it for too long or you may poison your fishes though they usually have a higher tolerance for copper!

But to be safe remove your fishes first, run the current, do at least a partial water change, and then put back your fishes.

Regards

/John

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just curious to know how it looks like.

Anyone can attach a pic or a link?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Taken from : http://www.micrographia.com/specbio...zo/hydr0100.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    wierd looking stuff

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnc
    Hydras are very sensitive to copper. Run a 9 v current through two copper plates (or even wire) set a few mm apart for 5 minutes. Leave for an hour, to see if the hydra die off, if not repeat the process. The idea is to get the minimum amount of trace copper in the water to kill the hydras without affecting the fish. Don't do it for too long or you may poison your fishes though they usually have a higher tolerance for copper!

But to be safe remove your fishes first, run the current, do at least a partial water change, and then put back your fishes.

Regards

/John
    What about those who had inverts in their tanks? Would shrimps take the hydras?

All inverts are sensitive to copper... If they have shrimps/snails that are in the tank and are deemed as desired inhabitants, they should be removed... Else they would die along with the hydras...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    how big are they anyway?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Big enough to be seen with the naked eye... But small enough to not harm livebearer fry. It's harmful to certain eye layers' fry... Personally, I think a couple of them in the tank looks kinda cool... They are fresh water ananomes... But they will repidly grow out of control and as witnessed, difficult to eradicate...

I am thinking... ThevinQ, have you tried Yamatos on them?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    What about those who had inverts in their tanks? Would shrimps take the hydras?

All inverts are sensitive to copper... If they have shrimps/snails that are in the tank and are deemed as desired inhabitants, they should be removed... Else they would die along with the hydras...
    Ah yes, totally forgot about these... Thanks for adding the caveat.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I am thinking... ThevinQ, have you tried Yamatos on them?
    Mine is a cherry shrimp cum planted 1 ft tank, which is also why i cant try the copper method...

But i've not tried yamatoes, but i've not heard of anyone using yamatoes to rid hydras tho... perhaps i'll give it a try...

but i've heard that gourami (correct spelling?) can tackle hydras tho.. but unfortunately they r not suitable for my tank..

thats y i still cant a solution... haiz

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, I just tot that since Yamatos sometimes disturb/kill fish (though never seen mine do it) as well and are rather curious creatures... They might just wanna try attacking the hydras... Never heard of it either... Maybe you can try and see if it works...

Gouramis... I think the dwarf gouramis are also said to eat the hydras... You can try 1 dwarf... They dun grow too big, anyway...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh... Someone mentioned using vinegar against stains and BBA and that gives me an idea ... Have you tot of injecting vinegar (white) into/around the Hydras? Not too much as it will decrease the pH of the tank water and not good for your shrimps...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh... Someone mentioned using vinegar against stains and BBA and that gives me an idea ... Have you tot of injecting vinegar (white) into/around the Hydras? Not too much as it will decrease the pH of the tank water and not good for your shrimps...
    juz to share my experience with everyone...

hahaha.. yup, i've tried it loh. at first i fear for my livestock so i only added abt 1 tablespoon. after half an hour they are still alive and kicking. (there was a patch on the tank glass where ~7 hydras were gathering together so its very obvious to see)

fed up , i removed my livestock and poured 1 ladle of vinegar in (not joking) they did shrink in, but only for a while. But after 1 hour, they are back in action again... these creatures are indestructible! so i added 1 more ladle of vinegar.

i believed that did the trick coz they shrunk and never returned (but still stuck on the glass) but as insurance, i poured warm water into the tank for the double blow (better safe than sorry, you never know if they are still alive or not ) then i scrapped them of the tank, did a complete water change and after 1 day, i added the livestock back.

for the next few days, the plants started to melt (dunno whether due to vinegar or due to warm water) but i tot its a small price to pay to rid the irritating sight of a party of hydras

but then after abt 2 weeks i spotted one hydra attached to the inlet of the filter, and another on the tank wall...

the battle continues....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Do you have a Srynge? Try injecting the vinegar directly into the Hydras instead of pouring the white vinegar all over them... Do a partial (but big enough) water change immediately... You can also save some vinegar in the process...